Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started giving Axel "bully sticks", I read somewhere dogs seem to like them, anyway I found them at the petstore (expensive), and I noticed they really stink, Axel really likes them, however I think I may stop giving him them just because of the smell. Anybody else have any experience with bully sticks?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Our V loves a good bully stick from time to time. My sister found a non-stinky kind - our local pet store sells them out of a box (loose) - and they don't smell.

·
Registered
42 Posts
By any chance do you know what kind the non-smelly ones are? My V loves the bully stick once in awhile but they do stink:( Thanks!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Flossies by Merrick seem pretty similar, though a bit more expensive. Kobi got a bully stick the first day I had him and he loves it. However, that was not a pleasant smell for a 3.5 hour drive back home! I'd probably try getting some more if I saw them somewhere. He is set on Flossies for now though (he has enough that he gets bored of them)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Linescreamer - I wish I could say that bully sticks are the most offensive thing my dog has put in his mouth ... but I can't :D

·
Registered
599 Posts
Linescreamer said:
The pet store owner told me what these are. I was surprised! I'll bet most of you wouldn't buy them if you knew. ;)
I might have paused the first time.... but I bought one without knowing what it was. Kobi liked it, so I figured why not buy more? It's not something I buy regularly though. I just bought his second one today. I went for the 12" one. He likes the big long bully stick :p

·
Registered
86 Posts
Linescreamer said:
The pet store owner told me what these are. I was surprised! I'll bet most of you wouldn't buy them if you knew. ;)
Ha! This is the only thing that has worked to make our nutty puppy stop barking! I'm not sure I would have bought one had I known what it it either but it was a gift and I guess in the end I'm a total sell-out. The silence feels too good :D

·
Registered
582 Posts
Linescreamer said:
I was surprised no one had mentioned it yet. I wanted to post and ask if they were what I thought they were, but I didn't dare. I think that's why I've never wanted one for Rosie.

·
Registered
202 Posts
OMG i though Scooby eating dried tripe and pigs ears was bad thats disgusting thankfully not on sale in the UK, I think my hubby would sit crossed legged at the thought of watching the dog eat 1 !!!!!!!!!! :D
Thanks for enlightening me Kobi

·
Registered
599 Posts
Well they are processed and dried. You would never guess by looking at it that it was in fact a bull's penis.

I had no idea, but I looked it up when I got home because I was curious why it smelled so bad! I'm not sure the smell and the content are related, but I learned a lot that day!

·
Registered
595 Posts
From what I've learned/experienced there's the bull penis which is really stinky and usually referred to as pizzle and then there's one that looks similar but doesn't smell as awfully strong and that's stretched tendon. I live in Toronto and get them from Global Pet Foods. The only way I can tell the difference though is to hold the wrapped (yes, packaged) stick and slowly bring it to my nose. Lol. If I can smell it as soon as I pick it up, I'm not buying it. :p

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I don't think the dogs care where they came from. :D

I do wonder if they are actually from "bulls", or if they come from steers. Keeping a cow intact until slaughter could get a pretty interesting. :eek:

·
Registered
33 Posts
learn something new every day! although, i have to agree with treetops--i wish i could say that was the most offensive thing maggie has put in her mouth....but, alas, i cannot.

·
Registered
220 Posts
In New Zealand it is big business exporting deer pizzle to China as an aphrodisiac. Apparently they stew it in whiskey and drink the juice (or something like this).

Maybe we should call that variety Stag Stick? I haven't seen any pizzles of any species available at the pet shops here but I am sure the V would love it. I have seen dried pigs ears and she love those.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm all for using every part of a slaughtered animal so it doesnt worry me.

Although like treetops i don't think that's the worst thing Merc has ever chewed on and like scooby I've never actually discussed it with my husband...

I also wonder whether the ones I've seen here are actually tendons though.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My dog loves Bully Sticks, but when I told my wife what they were, she was not thrilled. I told her to look on the bright side. Any bull penis that becomes a dog treat will not end up in your hot dog. Her response.... "EWWWWW!" ;D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts