Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buckle Collars or Snap Collar? 1" or 2" wide.
I noticed Vs have rather long necks.

Thanx

·
Registered
595 Posts
Mischa had her snap collar come off a few times while wrasslin with other dogs.
I vote for the buckle.

1" is just right, 2" would look massive, but that's your choice.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
If you're only going to buy one collar, I vote for the buckle-type collar. I have had the "quick release" snap collars (the kind with the nylon/plastic hardware) break right before my very eyes. There sat my dog, always a good girl, bare naked so-to-speak, and if she had decided to take off on a run, no identification tags on her! (She was not microchipped; Willie is). So based on that experience, I don't think the snap collars are trustworthy. In fact, the paper price tag that's attached to them when you buy them specifically says "not for tie-out -- and (guess what?) not for any kind of quick stressor. They will break right off.

I would choose a high-quality leather collar with the traditional brass buckle. They are more expensive (Willie has one that was $35 US) but they will also last a long, long time. The fabric ones with the "snap" nylon/plastic hardware are cheaper, but really only for decoration. Willie also has a few of those with ID tags on them, but just wears them when he's running around out in his yard. because I never want him to go anywhere without ID. :D After all, he can't talk to tell somebody his phone number. That's how he ended up on death row at the dog pound.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sam's 1" Kong snap collar is getting a little smelly and thought it would be time for a better one.

I will buy a good 1" leather collar. Sam is tattooed on the inside of his left ear.

Incidentally, I may also buy a two handed 4 foot leather leash. We walk a lot together, with friends and anybody who wants to walk him.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Hey, datacan, tell me about the two-handed leash, please. Do you mean there is a leash that lets two people walk one dog? That would be great, because my sister and I like to go for long walks with Willie (and he is still a "tugger" on his leash). Of course, I guess I could just hook him up to two separate 4 foot leashes -- one for my Sis and one for me (We are not big people).

Please post more info, though... okay? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Thanks, datacan, for the clarification. As it turns out, I already have one of those (not leather, but blue nylon). That type of leash is very handy when you want to hold your dog close to you easily -- such as in the waiting room at the Vet's office, etc. It never ceases to amaze me how many cool pet products are out there now. Thirty or so years ago this was not the case at all. :)

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree, particularly with our V. we went through a lot of different products. We noticed Sam's skin is more sensitive and the halter, easy walker seemed to rub too much. I don't remember fussing so much over our previous dog.

Thanx for your input

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Those collars look nice... and I really like the idea of that high-visibility orange, especially if you actually hunt with your dog!

The Vizsla coat is so close to the color of a deer, and from a distance a hunter could make a mistake. Where I live, you don't really want to take your dog out during deer season, anyway, because if a hunter thinks your dog is chasing deer, he will shoot the dog! It happens.

Anyhow, they look like really good collars. :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Crazy said:
We have one of these for Kian and it's great. Comes with a name plate where you can ask them to put some info on it, just in case. Doesn't smell and easy to clean.
We have tried other collars and this one seems to be just fine.
Was planning on ordering one for Mac and one for my sister's dog. But Mac is only 7 months so wasn't sure on size to order for now/future. What size does Kian wear? I figure they might end up being similar sizes as they're brotha's from different motha's!

Datacan...Currently we have a rolled leather collar which Mac seems to like (but it stretches a bit so we don't attahced the lead to it..have a nylon martingale for that)

·
Registered
809 Posts
Macaroni said:
Crazy said:
We have one of these for Kian and it's great. Comes with a name plate where you can ask them to put some info on it, just in case. Doesn't smell and easy to clean.
We have tried other collars and this one seems to be just fine.
Was planning on ordering one for Mac and one for my sister's dog. But Mac is only 7 months so wasn't sure on size to order for now/future. What size does Kian wear? I figure they might end up being similar sizes as they're brotha's from different motha's!

Datacan...Currently we have a rolled leather collar which Mac seems to like (but it stretches a bit so we don't attahced the lead to it..have a nylon martingale for that)
Oh yeah, that's right... I guess Kian is his older half brother.
Not too sure what size, cannot remember, I will look tonight and get back to you.

·
Registered
842 Posts
That collar is good, especially if you use a check cord. I have snap collars that work well, but they are high quality and I have had no problem with breakage - even in the fields dragging the check cord and whoa training. :)

·
Registered
794 Posts
We have the same collar that Crazy Kian linked for Pumpkin. Excellent! Nice name/ID plate attached, good visibility, & easy clean. I purchased ours from a local gun dog shop, but I have had great service from Steve Snell's Gun Dog Supply with other items. Buckle is better, IMO.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
agree, will place an order.

Btw, rolled leather collars are great for long hair dogs. Worked wonderfully on our GS dog.

·
Registered
842 Posts
datacan said:
agree, will place an order.

Btw, rolled leather collars are great for long hair dogs. Worked wonderfully on our GS dog.
What's a GS dog? Do you mean a German Shorthaired Pointer (GSP) or a German Shepherd?

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HI, Linescreamer

GS dog= German Shepherd Dog = most dog bites.

High bite rates are attributed to this dog because the owners don't fully train them. Even then they need very strong corrections until reliable response is achieved. Once fully trained these dogs are heaven sent and very, very loving pets.

·
Registered
47 Posts
We prefer buckle but the daycare requires snap so we just have a cheap one we put on him before he goes. Right now he has a nylon buckle and it is pretty frayed from him scratching. Do those collars stand up to that pretty well?

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Leather is supposed to be long lasting but not good for swimming.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts