Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some researching about a month ago for some breeders that would be having puppies mid October, and would be ready to go around Christmas. After contacting quite a few, I was referenced to a Breeder in Oklahoma. After talking with the lady who runs the kennel, I decide to make a deposit for a puppy. I am worried I may have jumped the gun and would like to know if anyone here has had any experience with Prairie Pup Vizslas out of Oklahoma.

I read a previous post on this site that someone was concerned about a pup they got from this breeder, bc of heart worm problems, and a bald spot where the tail was docked.

If anyone knows anything about this breeder, I'd really appreciate some feedback, and also if anyone knows of any reputable breeders that may have puppies around Christmas, let me know!

THANKS!

·
Administrator
8,426 Posts
I don't know anything about the breeder. I did try and look up a couple of their dogs, and found nothing on health clearances, or titles. It makes it hard to research the dogs they are breeding.

You mentioned in another post that you have young kids.
I would look for a breeder that has the litters temperament evaluated. You need a pup that is matched to your family.

I read a previous post on this site that someone was concerned about a pup they got from this breeder, bc of heart worm problems, and a bald spot where the tail was docked.
I know the post your talking about. It was worms, not heart worms. Its not uncommon for pups to get worms, even if the breeder worms them.
Some of the owners other concerns was due to lack of research on the breed.
As far as the pups tail, no pictures were ever posted. Makes it hard to know if it was docked correctly, or not.

You may want to contact your local vizsla club, and have them send you a list of breeders they consider to be good. If there is a local vizsla rescue in your area contact them too,ask if they get dogs in from that kennel.

Last A good many breeders don't like to release pups at Christmas.

·
Registered
718 Posts
As TR mentioned, we can't determine much from their website. It doesn't disclose what the breeding is/will be, but their prior breeding has no health clearance in the OFA database. That should be flag enough to stay away, and is for those of us experienced in such things. If they had the clearance, it would be in the database. Any storytelling otherwise is hokum. Will it be enough of a flag for you is only a thing you can decide.

Also as TR mentioned, it's a big red flag for good breeders when folks are looking for a Christ-mas pup-py. The new toy shine wears off very quickly.

Also a bit of a flag that the price is 1/3 to 1/2 of most known reputable breeders.

And the health and support guarantee, in writing?

Good luck,
K

Reactions: texasred

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
There's nothing at all on that site that would make me feel good....and "Weizslas" would make me run for the hills.

If you have doubts...and I would...either try to get your deposit back, or just chalk it up to a mistake. Based on the price of the puppies, the deposit couldn't have been much anyways.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, I can understand why breeders would be concerned about the Christmas puppy scenario, but in my case, it was kind of a secondary reason to get the puppy around Christmas. The timing we were expecting to be ready for a dog was around Christmas, so we figured why not suprise the kids then.

The more I've been looking into things, I think I may have jumped the gun a little. I really appreciate all of the help though.
What would yall say the average price range is from a respectable breeder? The lady I am tied up with now said the puppies would be $1200, including the $200 deposit.

If anyone knows of any upcoming litters, I'd appreciate some help in the right direction.

thanks! I wasn't expecting this forum to be as active and helpful as it has been.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yea, I can understand why breeders would be concerned about the Christmas puppy scenario, but in my case, it was kind of a secondary reason to get the puppy around Christmas. The timing we were expecting to be ready for a dog was around Christmas, so we figured why not suprise the kids then.

The more I've been looking into things, I think I may have jumped the gun a little. I really appreciate all of the help though.
What would yall say the average price range is from a respectable breeder? The lady I am tied up with now said the puppies would be $1200, including the $200 deposit.

If anyone knows of any upcoming litters, I'd appreciate some help in the right direction.

thanks! I wasn't expecting this forum to be as active and helpful as it has been.
I am wondering if you ever got your deposit back or what happened. I did the exact same thing you did with the same breeder. Wondering if you went through with getting the dog or not. Thanks!

·
Administrator
8,426 Posts
We've had a huge stink over this breeder in Texas. We could not figure out why so many Texas people were buying them. Their dogs have no health clearances. In fact none of the puppy owners have ever been on the property, or seen the dogs he breeds, or how they are kept. He gives them a line of BS on why he keeps their location private. Vizsla rescue has taken in quite a few of their dogs through owner surrender. As the owners did not want the dogs to go back to him.

This is why so many people bought from them.
We have a so called breeder/rescue in Texas.
She is not a official rescue, and does not have a 501 c 3. But because she lists herself as a rescue, people looking for a Vizsla puppy trusted her. If she didn't have a puppy available, she would refer the people to Prairie Pup. She would go as far as vouching for them, so they felt comfortable getting a puppy, without ever knowing anything about the breeder.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We've had a huge stink over this breeder in Texas. We could not figure out why so many Texas people were buying them. Their dogs have no health clearances. In fact none of the puppy owners have ever been on the property, or seen the dogs he breeds, or how they are kept. He gives them a line of BS on why he keeps their location private. Vizsla rescue has taken in quite a few of their dogs through owner surrender. As the owners did not want the dogs to go back to him.

She is not a official rescue, and does not have a 501 c 3. But because she lists herself as a rescue, people looking for a Vizsla puppy trusted her. If she didn't have a puppy available, she would refer the people to Prairie Pup. She would go as far as vouching for them, so they felt comfortable getting a puppy, without ever knowing anything about the breeder.

Thank you for the reply. Word for word that is what has happened. I have had Vizslas in the past and I have found a reputable breeder so I will just wait

Thank you for the reply. Yes, word for word that is the case. I am smarter than that usually, I think I just missed my Vizslas that passed away so much I was eager to have one in our family again. Luckily I have found a reputable breeder and will patiently wait it out with them instead. Thank you again.

·
Administrator
8,426 Posts
If your in Texas contact Huntmore Vizsla, or Regal Point Vizsla. Both are the club breeder referral people for Texas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello! I found this page while researching this breeder. I am from texas too and I was referred to them by Dallas Vizslas, that might be the reason why a lot of people fron Texas end up there.

So far, I have seen a lot of posts from people that have gotten puppies from them for years and no regrets or issues. I am about to put a deposit but wanted to check on this thread beforehand to see if there were any specific issues found with this breeder? They mentioned all puppies come with a health contract, are AKC registered and come with all the health checks, worming and vaccines.

·
Administrator
8,426 Posts
If you want to buy from a puppy mill, you are free to do so. No need to worry about the horrible conditions that these breeding dogs have to live in every day of their life. Or the conditions that your new puppy lived in, before it was bathed and brought to you.
It's more important that you get a puppy now, than waiting on one from a reputable breeder.

The reason you don't see people posting about the problem dogs, is they feel duped by the breeder. They release the pup to rescue, or rehome it. They leave the forum, and Vizsla Facebook groups.

Sorry, I'm not in a being nice mood.
We try so hard ( countless hours) to educate people on what to look for in a responsible breeder. Then to have someone knowingly still want to buy from a puppy mill, just gets under my skin.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for your reply, what you might want to understand is that something might be obvious to you is not always that simple for someone who is either looking into being a first time dog owner or familiar with the breeding world. Which is the reason why we come to ask for advice. When I hear “reputable breeder” as a person new to this context, the first thing I care about is health issues, because that is what most people warn you about. It is not that I don’t care about the conditions of the dogs they are breeding, but I did not know it was an issue, which is in part why I am asking to be able to do a complete research before making the decision. Usually, I only find generic information, or responses like this thread as to yes on this breeder or not followed by comments about their health checks, but it is helpful to have the specifics (otherwise, I would not know what to look for in other options, so I would depend on asking on this forums, and end up with people being annoyed for the same questions over and over from different people). I am not concerned with waiting for a puppy but I do want to be educated for when there are available pups I know when to pull the trigger or not. Just a little bit of perspective from the other side, I do appreciate you explaining why there are no posts on problems of these dogs.

If you want to buy from a puppy mill, you are free to do so. No need to worry about the horrible conditions that these breeding dogs have to live in every day of their life. Or the conditions that your new puppy lived in, before it was bathed and brought to you.
It's more important that you get a puppy now, than waiting on one from a reputable breeder.

The reason you don't see people posting about the problem dogs, is they feel duped by the breeder. They release the pup to rescue, or rehome it. They leave the forum, and Vizsla Facebook groups.

Sorry, I'm not in a being nice mood.
We try so hard ( countless hours) to educate people on what to look for in a responsible breeder. Then to have someone knowingly still want to buy from a puppy mill, just gets under my skin.

·
Administrator
8,426 Posts
Huntmore Vizsla, and Regal Point Vizsla are the club breeder referral people for Texas.
They can take the guess work out of choosing a good breeder.

Vizsla Club of America has a website with good info on what health clearance Vizsla should have.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts