Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Vizsla has had this black pimple on the bottom part of his eye for about 2 years now .... it’s gotten a little larger since then but not much. Had vet check it today when he went for his yearly checkup/vaccinations. He believes there’s a 95% chance it is benign and I can just leave it and wait or have it removed (without stitches) and send for pathology. I opted for having it removed next month. Any input?
B025C70E-1E23-46BD-8156-A46EE2585F91.jpeg

·
Administrator
8,593 Posts
It's not uncommon for Vizslas to get them.
My dogs have had a couple of them removed over the years. If I'm having something else done, like teeth cleaning. I have them removed at the same time.

·
Super Moderator
954 Posts
Our Daisy has them and has had one/some removed previously. When they came back our vet did some research and found that for removal to be permanent, a fairly large portion of the lid needed to be removed. They're ugly but since they're on the outer lid & don't touch the eyeball, we leave them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not uncommon for Vizslas to get them.
My dogs have had a couple of them removed over the years. If I'm having something else done, like teeth cleaning. I have them removed at the same time.
Thank you! Makes me feel better to know this

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Our Daisy has them and has had one/some removed previously. When they came back our vet did some research and found that for removal to be permanent, a fairly large portion of the lid needed to be removed. They're ugly but since they're on the outer lid & don't touch the eyeball, we leave them.
Thank you! So glad to know this

·
Administrator
8,593 Posts
June's last one was removed with a laser, so she didn't need stitches.
That was 5 years ago, and it's never came back. Maybe we just got lucky.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve had several removed from our Hannah on two occasions. This last time, along with the vet, we decided to let them go for a while because there were a couple new ones starting to form. We let them go until the vet said “its time”.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Our Vizsla has had this black pimple on the bottom part of his eye for about 2 years now .... it’s gotten a little larger since then but not much. Had vet check it today when he went for his yearly checkup/vaccinations. He believes there’s a 95% chance it is benign and I can just leave it and wait or have it removed (without stitches) and send for pathology. I opted for having it removed next month. Any input? View attachment 103361 View attachment 103361
That looks like a pigmented skin tag, just like humans get. You could leave it be, use cryotherapy (freeze it off with a swab), a laser, or an electrocautery to burn it off. They can also be tied off with a suture or small band, or snipped off. But it looks almost certainly like a benign skin tag and they typically stop growing and are just there….

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've got one on my 8 year old V right in the corner of his outer lid. As with others, I've been told its likely a benign skin tag. His has grown a bit in the last year and I'm inclined to ask to have it removed the next time we're in for a check up, but I'm not seeing the need to make an appointment for that alone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts