Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My four year old Viszla has started biting at the air for no reason. He does this mostly at night and keeps us up from about 10pm-2am before calming down. He feels better under the covers. Vet thought it was allergies and we've tried Benadryl and Claritan that didn't work. He's been on Prednisone for three days and I've seen no improvement. Internet research is pointing towards seizures. Any insight would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He does this when he is awake. He then tries to get under the covers or he tries to hide somewhere. When he falls asleep he seems to be okay.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Forgive a sort of a basic question, but are you sure there are no small 'floaties' in the air? Savannah will sometimes bite the air, but if I look very closely, she is actually biting pieces of her fur that she shed or little dust particles she sees in the sunlight. I am not sure, but she may do it more after a snow fall when she has been catching snowflakes.

I think it would be even harder to see anything floating in the air late at night. Does he get indirect light that would allow him to see something kick-up if he shifted on his bedding?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good question about the floaties. Ollie has this behavior in the pitch black so it's very strange. It seems like he's hallucinating but don't know if he'd see that in the dark either.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
You should do a Google search on "Fly-bite Syndrome" or "Flycatcher's Syndrome." My last dog, a Vizsla mix, had this same behavior. Nobody really knows for sure what causes it. In my dog's case, I believe it was from an extreme fear of bees. She had been stung by bees on two different occasions when she was young, and I'm sorry to say she never really got over this fear. The "fly-biting" did lessen with time, but she was always terrified of bees in particular and flying insects in general. Maybe your dog's behavior stems from this kind of fear. Unfortunately, they don't forget. There are many theories about it, which you can read about just by Googling.

Reactions: texasred

·
Registered
2 Posts
My four year old Viszla has started biting at the air for no reason. He does this mostly at night and keeps us up from about 10pm-2am before calming down. He feels better under the covers. Vet thought it was allergies and we've tried Benadryl and Claritan that didn't work. He's been on Prednisone for three days and I've seen no improvement. Internet research is pointing towards seizures. Any insight would be appreciated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts