Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Nelson is now 17 weeks old and is a fully fledged family member. He is crate and toilet trained. Sleeps through the night and is very obedient.

The one issue we have is whining and barking when left for more than an hour. We record the audio in the house when we go out so we know exactly what happens. He stays quiet for around the first hour then starts moaning and barking. This usually goes on for a full hour. We never leave him for more than 2 hours and this happens everyday. He does not need to pee and we always walk him before leaving. Do you think he'll simply learn to cope?

He doesn't seem stresses and doesn't chew the bars or his bedding.We've also tried the stuffed and frozen kong ideas with any change in him.

Anyone have similar issues?

·
Registered
110 Posts
We have similar issues with Darwin (and he's now 6.5 months). He is perfect at night, but if he is crated during the day, he does the same (we have recorded him too!). However, we crate him longer than you crate Nelson - 5-6hrs max. And, he has crate safe toys in there with him. I've been meaning to post a thread on the topic, for suggestions, but haven't gotten to it :p.

Does he have enough to entertain himself in his crate?

Anyone have other suggestions?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Our boy is 7 months and we call him a bit of a 'moaner'!

We don't have any major problems when we leave the house but he did go through a stage where he would moan/bark/yelp if he is left and I go upstairs or out of sight apart from when I leave the house in which he seemed to be fine.

I found we had to be REALLY strict and not go back to him when he was moaning. When he got a bit older and the ignoring didn't work I found a strong 'No' stopped him and then a short period of ignoring.

I also found the more freedom we gave him the more he would bark etc. i.e. we started letting him upstairs in the evenings and he would start waking earlier and earlier in the morning so we have stopped that now. I also try to ignore for 10 mins or so before I leave him which didn't occur to me at first.

I think this is the one behaviour we will have to keep on top of but it has definitely got better.

Hope that helps a bit :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
We too have this issue with the other Darwin :) who is 9 months now. We have found that it is dependent on a few things:

1. If he has gotten his exercise or not. If we have already run him for a bit at the park he will wine and/or bark for about 5 minutes when we leave as if to say "hey you forgot me" and then will calm down.

2. How we leave the house. We have started putting him in his crate about 10 minutes before we leave so he can get settled before we leave. If we are in a rush and just throw him in his crate and then run out the door, he is anxious and thus the whining and barking increases dramatically.

3. The final time he will really get going is if he really really really has to go the bathroom. We try to make sure that he doesn't have any water for a bit before we are going to crate him for a long time. If he really really has to go he will let us know!

I have found that practicing during the day with going in the crate while we are home makes the transition easier!

If however we don't run him, rush out, and forget to take his water away a bit before we leave, we are in the same boat as you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts