Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am really keen to hear your suggestions and ideas for our gem of a dog. He is 15months old and although he has gone through all the crazy vizsla stages he is starting to calm (well slightly). During firework season in the UK which seem to last for a whole month he got totally spooked as he stepped out into the garden by a really loud firework. Then when out on a late afternoon walk a firework went off and he bolted, at the time he was off lead and in a park over 2000 acres. We searched the area over and over, he was missing for 3 nights as you can imagine it was the most awful experience. He was found approx 6 miles away we can only presume he followed the train track out of the park. He was checked out by the vet and had only a few cuts and grazes. After a few days TLC he was back to his old vizsla self. We built up our confidence and over a few weeks we let him off lead again and he was fine ( he has a good recall in normal situations). THEN a month to the day it happened again on a morning walk there was a construction bang and exactly the same thing happened. This time he was missing for only 1 night but as you can imagine how upset we all were.
So since this experience I have had him on an extendable lead which has taken a bit of getting used to for both him and me.

We have been to see a behaviourist she suggested the use of a scary sounds CD and the use of a long line to get his confidence back, has anyone had a similar experience?

Any suggestions for future training will be greatly received.

With Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Do you know anyone that hunts Vizsla's, or has access to a "gun club"? You're boy may be a little "gunshy" right now. If you could find someone with the proper experience that could introduce him to gunfire properly, it would go a long way towards mitigating the issue for him.
If you would like to try it yourself, I'll outline the method I use. You would have to be very disciplined though, because as you accidently found out, it is very easy to start the dog off badly. I understand what the behaviorist is working towards, but I think you're going to need some softer preliminary steps at this point.
I'm glad he got back safe and sound. I would have been going bonkers if I couldn't find one of my dogs for three days.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:) Hi thank you for your suggestions, I am going to try and find a local gun club. As you say I think it is going to be a slow process, I am definitely not going to rush anything. x

1 - 3 of 3 Posts