Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Snow pictures are the best!!
Very flashy winter coat she has on. She's ready to be turned out in the paddocks with the horses. ;)

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great puppy! She does enjoy this snow!
That is a stylish jacket!
Snow pictures are the best!!
Very flashy winter coat she has on. She's ready to be turned out in the paddocks with the horses. ;)
Oh, yeah! She's a real 2000's girl! It doesn't matter how ya feel, it's how ya look!! 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

Actually, the jacket/coat is quite a cheap thing I grabbed at the regional pet store. It doesn't have buckles... only velcro... and the sound of tearing velcro drives Aly nutz. Not in fear... but she has a similar reaction to a cat with catnip. Instantly goes bonkers. Pffft... and YOU try putting a coat on a vizsla in middle of a zoomie episode! HAHAHHA

Reactions: Lovejoy43

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Weatherbeeta makes nice turnout blankets for horses. Finn's coats are Weatherbeeta's also.
Yeah, the Velcro gets 'em going.;)
take care
Mike

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Weatherbeeta makes nice turnout blankets for horses. Finn's coats are Weatherbeeta's also.
Yeah, the Velcro gets 'em going.;)
take care
Mike
@gunnr, what would be your recommended method of dealing with her reaction to velcro (specifically as it relates to putting a coat on her)? Try desensitizing her to the noise by randomly ripping the velcro, through the day? Just ignore her reaction and put the coat on her? Other ideas?

A little bit more info: Once the coat is on her, she is completely unfazed by it.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I think she's just having some fun, and making her own game with it.
If it's not making her afraid, I would just let her grow out of it.
Finn used to spin around on the floor and try to bite and pull at it. He'd be running across the yard with the velcro section in his mouth and the coat all crunched up. It was funny to watch. He would pull himself off his feet, and just keep on going. He stopped after a few weeks, but when he got a new bigger coat, as he'd outgrown the first, he'd do it again. He still likes to squirm around and make it a game sometimes.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think she's just having some fun, and making her own game with it.
If it's not making her afraid, I would just let her grow out of it.
Finn used to spin around on the floor and try to bite and pull at it. He'd be running across the yard with the velcro section in his mouth and the coat all crunched up. It was funny to watch. He would pull himself off his feet, and just keep on going. He stopped after a few weeks, but when he got a new bigger coat, as he'd outgrown the first, he'd do it again. He still likes to squirm around and make it a game sometimes.
@gunnr, thanks for the response! Great description of Finn under these circumstances!

We have strictly defined "items" which are allowed to be "chewed" and "tugged" on. "Tug" items are just a couple, because I don't want that type of behavior to follow thru on "release" during hunting or playing fetch. I was apprehensive of allowing her to "play" with the coat... though, after reading your post, earlier... I turned the weatherbeeter coat into a play toy for the afternoon (two play sessions with a nap in-between. During the play sessions, I'd rip the velcro as much as I was able.

Turns out after quite a short period, she wasn't overly interested in rough biting, pulling and tugging of it. She'd very quickly became uninterested in the velcro ripping. At the end of the second play session, she went to the door, letting me know she needed to go out for potty. I simply put the coat on her, with no objection by her.

Moral of the story: Sometimes it's better to just let them be pups and not overthink things! ;)

Thank you, sir!

Neal

Reactions: Gabica
1 - 8 of 8 Posts