Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Riley girl is holding steady at about 40lbs at 16 months old. Cooper weighs in at a whopping 61lbs at 10 months old. They are both on the slim side. I'd rather them be too slim than too fat! :)

·
Registered
540 Posts
threefsh said:
Riley girl is holding steady at about 40lbs at 16 months old. Cooper weighs in at a whopping 61lbs at 10 months old. They are both on the slim side. I'd rather them be too slim than too fat! :)
threefsh - 61lb at 10 months, wow!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
SkyyMax said:
threefsh said:
threefsh - 61lb at 10 months, wow!
Yeah, the family we adopted him from said his dam/sire are huge & that was one of the reasons they picked that breeder. Of course, I can't find the breeder, the dam, OR the sire listed anywhere online. I'm hoping he tops out at about 65lbs. He already eats 2X as much as Riley & I've noticed him getting thin & bony again lately, so I think he's going through another growth spurt! :-o

·
Registered
540 Posts
threefsh - even though Cooper is big, he still looks like a puppy (I enjoy reading your blog).
Riley looks so tiny next to Cooper :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm piggybacking on this so as to not make for a bunch of double-posts.

Bru is currently six months and two weeks old and she weighs about 43-44 lbs. We met both of her parents and the dad was pretty big but definitely not overweight or ginormous, and the mom was tall and slender.

We've been giving her a one cup serving three times a day of nutrisource for large breed puppies (since we were certain she'd be ove 50 lbs from the get go). She looks perfectly healthy and is growing rapidly. But today, a fellow V owner kind of made us paranoid by saying she may be growing too fast and that it may create problems in the future. In reading everything in this thread it's obvious that there is a lot of range and that all dogs are different, even within a breed. We're going to go to the vet next week and talk to her about everything but I just wanted some peace of mind until then.

I'd love to hear your input!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I got Astro when he was 6.5 months old and from memory he was already about 55-57lbs. He is now just touching 80lbs. I think If I hear one more comment about his size i'll just die. Perhaps I'll have to come back with some witty remark like................... "No S__T Sherlock!" :)

·
Registered
364 Posts
LOL bru

And just how on earth are you expected to stop her growing? Yes you could reduce her food but if she is genetically programmed to be a certain size then all you are doing is effectively reducing her size by malnourishment which can hardly be healthy. Assuming she isn't overweight I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
bru

I totally agree with Lyra - the height of your Vizsla is predetermined by genetics. It is difficult to say how fast is too fast for a puppy to grow. I do know from raising 5 Gt Dane puppies that feeding puppy kibble can often encourage quick growth.

I have a male wirehaird vizsla, he wasn't one of the larger boys in the litter and he hasn't been fed puppy kibble and he was a bit heavier than yours at 6months, now at a year old he is 26Kg /58lbs and is taller than most vizslas we meet, and quite lean. So I think in another year he will be quite a big dog.

I am sure your pup is fine, probably going to be a big girl :)

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Ozkar said:
I got Astro when he was 6.5 months old and from memory he was already about 55-57lbs. He is now just touching 80lbs. I think If I hear one more comment about his size i'll just die. Perhaps I'll have to come back with some witty remark like................... "No S__T Sherlock!" :)
Uh oh... that's about how much Cooper weighed when we brought him home at around the same age. :eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
EastBayer said:
Milo is 6 mos 1 week old at 38.5 lbs. but looks healthy with ribs showing a bit when she turns.
We had Merritt, Milo's sister, weighed yesterday, she's up to 45.1 lbs but still looking pretty slim and muscular.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
threefsh said:
Ozkar said:
Uh oh... that's about how much Cooper weighed when we brought him home at around the same age. :eek:

Nah, nh, nah, nah, nah.......Threefsh got a monster too!!!!! :) :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ozkar,

Is Astro a Hubertus V?

All,

Here is a revised growth chart with our female V at 7 months old. Also recently posted in "Ideas on full grown size"

I would love to collect data from Vizsla community on the forum and produce a scatter plot from the data. Maybe a histogram... This would be great information for the community. Owners will feel better that their dog is not an outlier (too small or too big)... And if they are, so what... I bet your dog doesn't seem to care and you shouldn't either.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts