Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve come to the conclusion that Vizslas are too smart to be crated like other dogs in the evening.
We tried to follow all of the rules. Not happening. We were up 3-4 times a night. It was rough. We finally realized that our sweet 4mth old was too smart. She needed and would get her snuggles one way or the other. Our routine now is to put her to bed in her crate at 10ish. Wake up when she whines at around 1am, take her to the bathroom outside, put her into bed with one of our kids and she sleeps straight through to 7ish am. It’s awesome. We’re all happier.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At what age did yours start to sleep through the night. We’re at 4mths right now so I’m hoping you say 4.5mths-ha

·
Registered
64 Posts
At what age did yours start to sleep through the night. We’re at 4mths right now so I’m hoping you say 4.5mths-ha
He was right around 5 months* Kody took to everything very well I.E kenneling/ crating , going outside to potty or letting us know he needs to go. One of the Best trained dogs I've owned! I want a Brother but BAE says absolutely NOT. I WILL randomly show up with another and she will love him too!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is our first Vizsla and we feel lucky too. Bathroom breaks are good, learning behaviours well and we’re pretty good with 1 wake up a night. Here’s to hoping she sleeps from a to b in 1mths time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would love to ask a question jumping onto this thread... we have the same issue - our Jonesy (5.5 months) is too smart too. For better or worse, we have never made him sleep in a crate. He just was heartbroken the first night when we locked him in his crate and all went upstairs, and we have most certainly created a (very sweet) monster. Our problem with him being too smart is that he really has decided her prefers my husband and I's bed over the kids' beds, so he repeatedly gets out and comes into our room. When he was tiny and sweet it was okay, obviously, but now we are having problems getting good sleep - he is on the big side for Vizslas and will probably be over 60 pounds in a few months. He takes up the whole bed and steals our covers, plus (sorry if TMI!) intimacy is kinda gone too, with a giant puppy in our bed. We need to transition him to something else. Any advice for backtracking and trying to get him to sleep in a dog bed or a crate in our room?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts