Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 9 month old v who has recently started to get protective over toys and bones with my 13 year old son ...he has started growling and barking at him ..馃檲 as soon as my son comes in room he will go grab one of his bone and runs with it ..any advice would be greatly appreciated..he goes for 1st appointment on Tuesday to get him neutered.

Administrator
Having toys, and bones are a privilege,
not a necessity. I would put them up while you work on the problem.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks as it鈥檚 only when toys and bones are out . I have a toy box where I just empty all toys n bone out for him to play with each morning.Thanks for your advice .

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have any ideas I could use to work on this problem ..I鈥檓 trying to let my son feed him give him a treat and remove the bone and give him it back ..got an appointment to get him neutered other than that I鈥檓 out of ideas 馃檲.

Administrator
While I would let your son give him treats. I wouldn't have him give, and remove bones from him. Especially with bones being one of his triggers.

Hopefully this is just a stage he's going through.
But you really need someone to evaluate him in person.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks I鈥檒l have a behaviour therapist look at him after neutering is complete .

Registered
You said he is grabbing the bone and running? Sounds more like play then anything else. My V growled, barked, and ran off with all sorts of stuff at that age and didn't have an aggressive bone in his body. I think he's just fine.

Administrator
You said he is grabbing the bone and running? Sounds more like play then anything else. My V growled, barked, and ran off with all sorts of stuff at that age and didn't have an aggressive bone in his body. I think he's just fine.
That is exactly why he needs to be evaluated.
You don't want to label a dog as having aggressive tendencies, that does not have them.
But you also don't want to dismiss true aggressive behavior.

Registered
That's what's nice about these forums. Lots of different opinions. I'm sticking with mine.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the feedback I will monitor him closely..today I told my son to just walk past and ignore him when he went to get his bone ...Once he is neutered and recovered I鈥檒l take him to see a behaviour therapist as want what鈥檚 best for him and my son .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts