Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, we've just adopted a 14wk old vizsla and from 1st impressions he has had basic training as very little accidents with toilet in house, always outside and he slepping well at nights in crate. Though during day when we put him in crate to try teach him seperation and downtime he whines and barks. I believe stick with process and hopefully he will learn and stop but more looking advice on periods of time I should do this throughout the day as work from home and need to ensure he not barking when we need to leave him alone in house. Any tips be appreciated. Thank you

· Registered
227 Posts
We practiced by crating her during the day and work out of sight for an hour or so. We also practiced on leaving the house while being crated and coming back in several times a day. We built up from 1 to 20 minutes alone within an few weeks. I only left her for longer after she was fully calm for 20 mins. I started leaving her for an hour after 6 months.

I left her alone uncrated when she was 2. She can now stay alone for about 4H uncrated.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, we did feel maybe going to strong too soon and we have changed and shortened time frames alone and he is adopting very well. We mixing up from 5mins, 10mins, 5mins, 15mins etc through day and we are around and he has stopped barking and goes to his crate and lies down with his cuddly toy straight away. Will steadily increase the times and keep mixing up but he definitely more settled and relaxed, could have been the transfer from a shelter to a home didnt help and now he knows we always come back feels safe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts