Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

61 - 80 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
A gift from heaven!

I just need to share my story about my beautiful vizsla. my son brought him home at 8 weeks old. Two days before Christmas. Well, what a shock. I already had 2 Dachshund.i insisted he be returned the next morning. I have had dogs all my life but I am not so young any more so a big dog was scary. Well ,the next morning after he had spent the night in my sons bed.he came downstairs. That was it. I fell in love .Just couldn't part with that beautiful face. What a shock I was in for! he had sharp teeth, chewed my new chairs. We were jumping up and down to miss being bitten .I had to cage him just so we could have a break. Now he is 15 months old and the most perfect dog. He now grabs my arm but very gently. He sleeps in our bedroom but during the night he wakes and stands looking over us. He goes back in his basket but early hours of the morning he sneaks down under the covers. My husband and I never go out for long and we just miss him too much. For anyone thinking of buying a Vizsla the tough time in the beginning is really worth it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We have had Meg for 8 weeks now and compared to some of the stories in this thread she seems like a pretty good pup. She still nips but she's getting better and still needs lots of attention...all the time. The one thing we really haven't suffered is the sleepless nights. :)

We had read a lot about different methods of training your V to sleep in her crate either letting her howl it out and just leave her or put the crate next to the bed and move further away in time. With Meg not being allowed upstairs we decided we would sleep in her room, so we basically camped out with her for the first 2 weeks and every time she got worried we just out a hand out to calm her down. Having said all that, we were still in the same boat as a lot of owners, after 2 weeks we were going mad and yes, we did even talk about re-homing but we're through the worst of puppy stage one, now to the teenage years.... ???

·
Registered
11 Posts
My first V is 6 months old next week and is the best puppy I have ever had. She was chosen for me by the breeder and she is perfect! She was 10 weeks old before I could get her and had already been removed from her mom. I did not crate her. She sleeps in the bed with my husband and myself, under the covers most of the time. From the day we brought her home, Honey has never peed or pooped inside the house. I take her outside before bedtime for pees and poos and she is done until morning which is usually 8 or 8:30. She sleeps all night. We are fortunate because we have a large horse farm and work our own hours, and spend a lot of time outdoors. We went to the beach and took her with us. We take her to "dog friendly" beaches, restaurants, shops, and hotels. Where we go, she goes. That being said, I don't believe you should get a puppy unless one person is going to be home with it. There are so many adult dogs in rescue shelters that need forever homes and you can bypass the puppy stage. This is true for all breeds, but especially high-energy pups.

·
Registered
41 Posts
That's really lovely Bertie 13. I know just how you feel. Burdy is my blessing and I can't believe I was so lucky to find her. She has a lovely deep inner calm combined with a wild love of life and her friends. She is my first viszla. Before that I had English Pointers. Although viszlas are a breed apart I think they are a bit like the other pointers in that they can get depressed and frustrated without good exercise and a busy social life. She has been a very good puppy from day one (well you forget some of it). She's having to rest at the moment so she has destroyed a new chair this week and trashed a few cushions and shoes. I know how she feels - and it just goes to show how much the right exercise mops up that deer-like energy most of the time. She is just the most remarkable trustworthy companion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We are not new dog owners but are new V owners. Goodness gracious! You forget how much like a newborn baby a new puppy is. Thankfully they grow through their newborn, infancy, and toddler years much faster than a human. :)

For the first few months we were really wondering what we had gotten ourselves into. We've had puppies before, we had done the research, but nothing can truly prepare you for a Vizsla puppy. They are so different from the others.

I can honestly say that our girl is only 5 months old but we are noticing her start to mellow out a little. We have taken some longer camping trips for a few weeks at a time this summer and after coming back from this last trip we were just commenting that we have noticed some big changes.

One is that she is finally not peeing constantly in the house. Woohoo! We can leave the toilet paper roll on the holder and she doesn't grab it and run through the house. We can leave towels hanging from the oven door handle and she doesn't grab them and run to her hidey-hole. She will play independently and outside. She grabs toys from her bin to play with. She has some shark attacks but they are less frequent than they were.

She (we) are still a work in progress though. She still likes to grab socks and clothes that need to be folded. She drinks out of the toilet if the lid is open. She is now tall enough to get her front paws on the counter or table and try to lick any food that might be close to the edge. This too shall pass. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Oohhhh boy. My pups not even arrived yet but I'm trying not to worry too much from this thread. I know it will all be worth it obviously, but it is like raising a child!

·
Registered
403 Posts
It's so worth it!!! I know that you just do the best you can at the time, but I wish I'd been (even) more patient and consistent. My other half nearly completely lost it and did mention getting rid of the pup, which he was instantly informed wasn't something that would be happening. Nowadays their bromance has turned into both being completely in love with each other, they have a totally different relationship to me and Morris but no less strong. I should have held the faith that it was only going to be hard for a limited time, and taken a few more deep breaths.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Every little negative is out weighed by their love, loyalty and beauty Anwen is now 6 months and we've had our ups and down but we always had the reassurance and support from the forum that she's a typical V, just set the ground rules and be patient with love and training you will only get back the work you put in.
They're also very intelligent so we play lots of mind games like hide and seek, hiding toys, kongs and treats along with exercise.
Anwen is our first Vizsla and we also have a 13 year old Golden Retriever Megan who is completely the opposite very quiet, has never needed much exercise. We love both but we're definitely V people now and when Anwens two will be looking for another.
Good luck and the forum is amazing!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello there

myself and my husband are now the proud (but exhausted) owners of a 12 week old Viszla pup, Bailey. Like many on the forum we did our homework before hand and knew it wasn't going to be easy and we are both quite active so wanted an energetic dog, but I really wasn't prepared for quite how hard it was going to be. The first few nights howled and howled and howled. I was beside myself, the noise was heart breaking, then annoying, to heartbreaking, to then really annoying. I then found that although Bailey was settling a bit quicker, I then couldn't sleep at night as i was just waiting for the howling to begin again. I think i had about 6 hours sleep in the first week which lead to a horrid cold developing. I have no idea how I survived work, I was a complete zombie and all i did was cry or shout at my husband. Then when Bailey was awake, he had the zoomies and was constantly jumping up on the furniture and chewing things he shouldn't (including us.... hard!). nothing seemed to calm him down - with the exception of sitting on our laps and lots of stroking. He hated his crate and never wanted to be in it despite how many kongs/toys we put in it. Several times, i was close to calling the breeder to say we had made a horrid mistake and please could she take him back.

It's now nearly the end of week 3 and dare i say it but things are getting a bit easier. Bailey now sleeps from 9:45pm to 6:30 without any incidents and we have enlisted the help of a wonderful trainer. The shark attacks have reduced and although the zoomies remain we have learned that this is a sign of a) he needs a wee/poo b) he is over tired and needs a sleep c) we need to take him for a walk. He loves going out and about and everyone we meet seems to fall in love with him. He is terrible at walking to heel on his lead, but is great when off the lead (i'm learning this is a Vizsla thing!). We have also reduced the size of his crate (as it was too big and therefore increasing his anxiety) and have bought him a stress reduction collar and he now only murmurs for about 5 minutes before settling down. Yesterday I found that he had taken himself into his crate and was fast asleep, i was so so proud (and very relieved).

I have to say though that this forum (and this thread in particular) has been such an immense help and comfort. I really thought i was alone going through this experience and to know others out there have been there and survived it and to explain how it really is worth it in the end has given me much needed hope. I'm am enjoying Bailey's spirit more and more each day, he is such a character and i know will provide many smiles to come.

thankyou to everyone who has posted - you really have been amazing!

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Bail @ 12-13wk old PUP !!!!!!!! worried about HEEL !!!!!!! DO NOT PUT the PUP ahead of the cart !!!!!!!! - our expectations never exceed just how good the pup will V in a few years !!!!!

·
Registered
2,717 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Bailey said:
Like many on the forum we did our homework beforehand and knew it wasn't going to be easy and we are both quite active so wanted an energetic dog, but I really wasn't prepared for quite how hard it was going to be.

I have to say though that this forum (and this thread in particular) has been such an immense help and comfort. I really thought i was alone going through this experience and to know others out there have been there and survived it and to explain how it really is worth it in the end has given me much needed hope. I'm am enjoying Bailey's spirit more and more each day, he is such a character and I know will provide many smiles to come.
We have all been there! I was a zombie myself for a month or two :D The forum does help oh so much and it does get easier! Pretty soon you'll be sad puppyhood is over and start planning for a second V :p. Hang in there because the reward is so worth it. And try to enjoy it as much as you can - especially the zoomies - it doesn't last forever and believe me, you will actually miss it! (If only because you were so sleep deprived that you forget how much those puppy teeth hurt!)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I agree-- this is a great post. We got our baby girl at just eight weeks, which I still think is too young. She was pretty good about sleeping through the night ( after three nights of straight complaining in her crate). Then, we were blessed with daylight savings time so all of our training and sleeping schedules were tossed out the window. When she was little, she was more submissive. She would play with her toys and stay pretty close to us. Now that she's 13 weeks and a little bigger ( she's finally starting to gain weight) she seems to have found this new sense of confidence.

For some reason, she loves to climb. That includes jumping up on the stove, kitchen counters, etc. She will come " off" when we scold her, but there is definitely some fun fascination with seeing her shadow in our stainless steel appliances. She is now also really into chasing the reflection from her name tag all around the kitchen.

In terms of the adjustment-- we are first time V owners and had no idea of physically taxing it would be. We thought we could get through the work week with crate training and lot's of works, play time with toys. She definitely gets bored if she doesn't get to run around outside and get ride of her energy. Sleep is all over the place for us. Sometimes she'll sleep from 10pm-3pm, then we let her out to pee/poop and she'll make it until 5pm. Other nights, she wakes up several times.

We've definitely had those moments of coming home from work and being like " take her." It's also pretty funny how cooking dinner, cleaning dishes, and just general house work seem like never ending and daunting chores. It's like a contest to see who had more energy to get things done.

Something we haven't been good about it making time for each other ( my husband and I). Reading through these posts, it seems like we're all in the same boat where we constantly watch the dog, can't go out for a while, and take turns to make sure they're not causing trouble or hurting themselves. We've crated her to go out for short periods of time, but need to work on doing this more.

If anything-- the time to yourself and the schedule adjustments have been the hardest for us. We don't have any kids so we were use to doing our own thing. She is a full-time job right now. We actually are starting her at doggyday care 2x/week so we can get a break for lunch walks. We're hoping that this will tire her out and she'll sleep better at night!

It's encouraging to hear that they get better with time. It's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel right now!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ozkar said:
The delight I take in seeing them finally click with something. That moment, when you see the look of enlightenment on the dogs face. Like they are telling you........ "Yeah.... I get it now...........you're right.....it's freaking huge fun doing it like that......" :) :)
I remember reading this when we first got Ginger (now 3 months old) and we just experienced this for the first time and it's true! We had also heard that this breed will take the training and then 'sleep on it' with better results the next day.

I tried to get her 'shake' after sitting and I would take her paw and shake it while giving her a treat and she would give that quizzical look. The very next day I tried it again and immediately she lifter her paw and there WAS A LOOK IN HER EYE and a wag of her tail that said 'I get it' :)

We are only on our 4th week with Ginger but so many of the experiences and behaviors we have read about are right on point!

I can also relate to the ones who have written about not falling immediately in love with their puppy... I had put my German Shepherd down just a few days before we got Ginger and that probably has some to do with it and I thought she was cute and all... just didn't have that real heart tug I got with my Sadie.
THAT is no longer the case. When I come home from work and she gets so excited and is so full of love and kisses and wiggling that butt and tail I can't stand it :)
As her personality begins to shine and as the bonding has grown so has my love for this dog... I am now head over heels in love with our new V !!

·
Registered
11 Posts
We just got our first V in October. Our son has a Weimeranar so we had some idea of what we were getting into. As with many of you, we did our research and "thought" we knew what we were in for. After reading the posts our Ragnar was, in retrospect, an angel. We got lucky.
We live in Miami and drove all the way to Alabama to get our little guy from a professional hunting guide, who bred his Vs to hunt quail. Ragnar's dad is an AKC champion hunter and his mom is working towards the same title. The boy was bred to hunt. We found him on Gun Dog Breeders.com
We picked him up at the game preserve and drove a day and 1/2 back to Miami, during which he slept in my wife's lap the whole time. Never one single whimper from the moment i first picked him up in my arms.
Of course he is all V, high energy and exhibits all of the typical V behavior. Ragner has never slept one single night in a crate, but in bed in between us, or on us. As soon as he detects one of us is awake comes the shark attack and a hundred kisses.
We live on the 32nd floor of a high-rise building, so potty training was a challenge. Almost from the beginning he would not poop in the apartment, however, Pee pee was a different story and for awhile I thought I was living in his personal toilet. Happy to say at 3 1/2 months he will hold it all the way down the hall, down the elevator to his favorite spot. Back to the apartment, straight to his food, eats a big breakfast, back into bed for a short nap, then watch out world.
We live in a large apartment complex which is completely fenced, with a large courtyard. Many many dogs there, especially ones Ragnar's size. They play, hard, fast and rough, sometimes for 2 hours. Ragnar loves to beat up the little guys and loves to try his luck with the big dogs. They have taught him proper dog behavior with a whack or knock him down. We call or text each other to let each other know when we will be downstairs. When Ragnar is back upstairs, its straight to the couch for a long nap. YES, you can wear a V out.
We took him to the beach and although we found out Vs are not great swimmers, he went straight in the water and swam out to where I was standing. NO fear from this guy. Then of course, dug a hole in the sand 1/2 way to China.
Now with all this said, my wife was pulling her hair out for the first 2 months and thought we made a big mistake, but in a very short time he adjusted to our life. He goes into his crate on his own and we have NO issues leaving him there for several hours. No barking or howling.
We live in a very urban area and he loves going to sidewalk cafes so that he can be admired by all the passerby. We can't walk one block without being stopped by "oh my god he is gorgeous" and the invariably "what is he?"
We will take him hunting when he is old enough, we can't wait. My wife and I used to show horses and loved that lifestyle, being with like minded people.
He loves to hide his bones and biscuits and my wife loves to laugh when she gets into bed only to find a huge bone buried in her pillow.
Yes,Vs are a lot of work, but worth ever single minute. We had a springer spaniel that we loved for 14 years. My wife and I though we could never replace her, we loved her so much. BUT our V has stolen our heart. He is everything we ever thought we wanted in a dog. We LOVE our V. We try to take him with us everywhere we go, whenever possible. Yes, there is separation anxiety but it's us not him.
We have learned to keep the bathroom and closet closed tight, or else!!
P.S. Ragnar was the mythical King of the Vikings. We call him the warrior dog.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow after reading some of the horror stories I think My wife and I are very lucky. We had 2 lab-golden retriever mix over the years so we’re familiar with dogs.
Our daughters both have Viszla’s and we fell in love with them. So we got our puppy from a champion breeder in Ohio. We picked him up at exactly 8 weeks. We anticipated a laborious house training but knew it was required. We were very surprised to notice that almost immediately Cooper acclimated to doing his business outdoors. And he often goes to the door and sits until we take him out.
He’s almost 4 months and he hasn’t soiled his kennel once (knock on wood). Plus he is really a pleasure to be with. He’s adjusted to our schedules well although we try to limit our away time to as short periods as we can. We both are working professionals and he must be left alone for periods of 6 hours or so. He’s adjusted marvelously.
He gets really excited when get home and we immediately take him outside to take care of his business. After that he comes in, we pet & hug him and give him lots of attention for about 15 min. After that he’ll eat and then go lay down on his bed with his chew toys. We’ll take him out for some play time and then my wife takes him for about a mile walk thru the woods. After that he’s pretty much pooped out.
He really isn’t a pain as some have noted as long as he can see one of us in the room. As long as one of us are in view he’ll remain on his bed and chew or sleep. He literally wants to be around people. When we go upstairs or downstairs we’ll let him come along as he really doesn’t get into much trouble.
Overall our Viszla puppy experience has been 10 times better than the 2 other dogs we had.

61 - 80 of 112 Posts