Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got Sofei almost 14 years ago. I had a dog that got ran over and so about 2 weeks later we went and got Sofei. And yes the spelling is different but that is what my wife wanted so it is Sofei. She was quite a pup. Tons of energy. I was still in mourning I suppose over the other dog and one day my wife said it isn't fair to Sofei as you are not giving her the attention that she deserves. I said you're right and I did try to change my ways but this pup had so much go. And it got much better as time went. Me and Sofei are best friends.

At that time we lived on 2 1/2 acres and she would run and run out there. She was one of 11 pups and my wife picked her out of the total litter. The breeder had grand kids that played with the pups a lot so when we brought her home, there was a commercial on tv that had some kids laughing and squealing and Sofei them and went running to see where the kids were. I believe that was a very positive way to bring up the pups as Sofei so loved kids. She just loved people. Never figured her to be a guard dog as she was always happy to see people. She also never barked much. If she did, there was a good reason. When people came around, Sofei had an uncanny way of knowing the people that did not care so much for dogs as she would do her best to convert them to liking her.

Now fast forward 13 years and she has congestive heart failure and arthritis, hearing mostly gone, and does not see great. Vet put her on blood pressure medicine, water pills, and pain pills. He said pretty soon the pills won't be enough. She has mostly quit eating for the last 3 days now and has a rough time getting up to go outside. Lost a lot of weight. I now usually have to help her up. Hips don't work very good for her to squat to do her stuff. And I am dealing with the guilt of knowing whether or when I need to put her down. She still will snuggle with me and lick my hand when I make over her. And sometimes she will sit and just stare at me.

And then I feel guilty hoping that she would pass away during the night,,,,,,,,,,,, so that I would not have to put her down. I just don't know if I can take her to the vet to put her down. I am disgusted with myself in being this way. I just feel like I would be ending her life when maybe she isn't ready. I mean she trusts me to take care of her. I think I must be a mental case. This will be a huge loss. We do have a second Vizsla Gus. But Sofei is Sofei.

I just felt I had to put this down in writing to maybe find coaching and counseling on this. I want to do the right thing as I truly want what is best for my very very good friend Sofei.

I would really appreciate your thoughts.

Thank you for reading this.

·
Super Moderator
942 Posts
Letting them go is the hardest part of having a V partner. But also the most loving part - it's your being willing to suffer the grief of their loss for the sake of giving them peace. It is especially hard when they are not actually suffering, but have just reached the point where they don't have much to live for. No one can or should tell you when to let Sofei go and my only advice is to do what's best for her, as hard as it will be for you.

·
Administrator
8,535 Posts
We can't stop time, or go back to when they were bouncy red heads. Our last act of love, for all their years of devotion. Is to not let them suffer, and be next to them when they crossover.

I'm sure you, and your wife will know when it's time, and will be there for Sofei

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Everyone that loves their dogs, or any pet, has had exactly the same internal conflicts that you are having. So don't feel guilty.
I had to make the same decisions with my two girls two years ago. It was gut wrenching, but in the end, we made the drive to the vet. It's the price we pay for having them.
That she is not eating, and having trouble going to the bathroom, has me concerned. I wouldn't let it go on much longer, before I would take her to the vet, and have them check her. It could be that their input /evaluation,may help you make the decision. The lack of eating can't continue.
I'm sorry, but it does seem as if the time has come, or is close, from what you have detailed.
Give the vet a call and be prepared to help her along her way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Letting them go is the hardest part of having a V partner. But also the most loving part - it's your being willing to suffer the grief of their loss for the sake of giving them peace. It is especially hard when they are not actually suffering, but have just reached the point where they don't have much to live for. No one can or should tell you when to let Sofei go and my only advice is to do what's best for her, as hard as it will be for you.
I know you are right Bob, but it feels like a huge weight trying to know when she has had enough and is ready to go. Thank you for your advice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We can't stop time, or go back to when they were bouncy red heads. Our last act of love, for all their years of devotion. Is to not let them suffer, and be next to them when they crossover.

I'm sure you, and your wife will know when it's time, and will be there for Sofei
Thank you texasred for your support. You mention their bouncy red heads, that is almost an understatement. Sofei did that a lot. In fact she was doing that a few weeks ago when she had some good days. But has been awhile since she has had those kind of days.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everyone that loves their dogs, or any pet, has had exactly the same internal conflicts that you are having. So don't feel guilty.
I had to make the same decisions with my two girls two years ago. It was gut wrenching, but in the end, we made the drive to the vet. It's the price we pay for having them.
That she is not eating, and having trouble going to the bathroom, has me concerned. I wouldn't let it go on much longer, before I would take her to the vet, and have them check her. It could be that their input /evaluation,may help you make the decision. The lack of eating can't continue.
I'm sorry, but it does seem as if the time has come, or is close, from what you have detailed.
Give the vet a call and be prepared to help her along her way.
Thank you gunnr for your support and advice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I mentioned that I do have another Vizsla Gus. He has probably has been missing out a little since I try to keep things equal with Sofei and Gus. But since Sofei can't do a lot of the stuff that I would like to do with both, I mainly do what Sofei can do. So Gus will be going for a lot more car rides and adventures to the lake and etc later. He likes the car rides but falls asleep about 10 minutes out. :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Oh Deriter, my heart breaks for you

I don't have much to add, but please be kind to yourself. You'll know when the time is right for both you and Sofei. The love you have for Sofei emanates in your words; I fully trust that you will know when it is time. I agree with Gunnr that it might be a good idea to work with a palliative care vet - in my area they often come to the house and do an assessment. Might be worth a try to make a plan and get a few days/weeks left with your girl.

Sending love your way

Reactions: Mattie.egg

·
Registered
29 Posts
We got Sofei almost 14 years ago. I had a dog that got ran over and so about 2 weeks later we went and got Sofei. And yes the spelling is different but that is what my wife wanted so it is Sofei. She was quite a pup. Tons of energy. I was still in mourning I suppose over the other dog and one day my wife said it isn't fair to Sofei as you are not giving her the attention that she deserves. I said you're right and I did try to change my ways but this pup had so much go. And it got much better as time went. Me and Sofei are best friends.

At that time we lived on 2 1/2 acres and she would run and run out there. She was one of 11 pups and my wife picked her out of the total litter. The breeder had grand kids that played with the pups a lot so when we brought her home, there was a commercial on tv that had some kids laughing and squealing and Sofei them and went running to see where the kids were. I believe that was a very positive way to bring up the pups as Sofei so loved kids. She just loved people. Never figured her to be a guard dog as she was always happy to see people. She also never barked much. If she did, there was a good reason. When people came around, Sofei had an uncanny way of knowing the people that did not care so much for dogs as she would do her best to convert them to liking her.

Now fast forward 13 years and she has congestive heart failure and arthritis, hearing mostly gone, and does not see great. Vet put her on blood pressure medicine, water pills, and pain pills. He said pretty soon the pills won't be enough. She has mostly quit eating for the last 3 days now and has a rough time getting up to go outside. Lost a lot of weight. I now usually have to help her up. Hips don't work very good for her to squat to do her stuff. And I am dealing with the guilt of knowing whether or when I need to put her down. She still will snuggle with me and lick my hand when I make over her. And sometimes she will sit and just stare at me.

And then I feel guilty hoping that she would pass away during the night,,,,,,,,,,,, so that I would not have to put her down. I just don't know if I can take her to the vet to put her down. I am disgusted with myself in being this way. I just feel like I would be ending her life when maybe she isn't ready. I mean she trusts me to take care of her. I think I must be a mental case. This will be a huge loss. We do have a second Vizsla Gus. But Sofei is Sofei.

I just felt I had to put this down in writing to maybe find coaching and counseling on this. I want to do the right thing as I truly want what is best for my very very good friend Sofei.

You will know when the time is right. My prayers are with you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We aren’t yet in the same boat, but I’ve been giving some thought to the future. My Hannah is almost 8 and is still very much herself, but, aging signs are poking up here and there. Her chin has turned white, and has speckles on white on her face now. I’ve been wondering if I will have the courage to take her to the vet and let her go when it is her time. She is very much my pal, follows me everywhere. She sleeps on the bed with me, with a couple pillows stacked between us so that I have some space (otherwise she’d try to get so close that I’d end up falling off the bed. In the morning, I move the pillows and let her snuggle with me for a while. If I sit in a chair, she’ll come and dance in front of me until I move to the sofa so she can cuddle with me. Frankly, I never knew I could love a dog so much. When I get these worries, at this stage, I just have to force them out of my mind and remember to enjoy her as much as I can. I know Vizslas are just simply the best dogs, but with Hannah, we think we got the best of the best.

Wishing you the courage and fortitude you will definitely need, and the wisdom to know when the time has come.

·
Registered
10 Posts

I suspect that most of us with dogs or cats but especially Vizslas go through what you are going through. My hunch is that most of us don’t regret ending our pet’s suffering too soon as much as we regret waiting too long. It is such a difficult decision but your buddy sounds like she is telling you that she is ready. In retrospect, I waited about 5-7 days too long when my vizsla died last April. These are heart wrenching decisions because we love our vizslas so much and of course they warrant every bit of that love.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I'm so sorry you have reached this point with Sofei. I think it's one of the most painful things to experience. Maybe sharing my experience will help you make a decision. I highly recommend having a vet come to the house if possible.

We have lost two vizslas. Our first girl was 17 years and 11 months old. She was healthy the entire time and just slowed down over the years. She had a few days of not eating much, having hind leg problems, wasn't wagging her tail at all, and most importantly, was not looking at us. We felt like she was telling us it was time. We called a vet who would come to the house, had one day of snuggling outside in the sunshine and seeing many of her favorite people, then she had a peaceful passing the next day.

Our second girl had kidney disease and had reached the border of stage 3 and 4. She was given weeks to maybe three months to live. We cancelled our vacation and took a dog vacation instead. Changed her food and meds a bit, and just kept doing her favorite things like hiking and swimming. We figured on quality of life, not quantity. She lived another entire year before going downhill very quickly. She went to the vet on a Wednesday and we found out exactly how bad she was doing, the vet couldn't believe she still was walking around. We had a meaningful Thursday and the very came to the house on Friday.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well yesterday April 9, 2021 I helped Sofei get up off the bed to go outside first thing in the morning. She fell once going down the hallway, again off the porch, again while going to the bathroom, and again coming back to the house. I told my wife, this is the tipping point of having to do something and she agreed.

Sofei was never a good rider in the car. She whined a lot and you had to go a long way before she would lay down and sleep. Well she did not whine a bit on the way to the vet which was a first in 13+ years. Our appointment was for 1 pm. So we did have some cuddle time during the am.

The experience of watching your friend go to sleep not to ever wake up again was gut wrenching at best. My wife said no more dogs and I guess I have to agree. Its just so hard to let go. I keep wishing for another hour to spend with her. But we do have Gus, another Viszla who is going on 5 years. He is helping us through this very sad time. I don't know whether it is fair to him to be by himself, but the pain of loss is so huge to consider another. It is so quite here at home even with Gus here. He has been kinda quite too.

I did let Gus see Sofei and see her buried so that he knows where she is. I did not want him wondering about her.

Sofei Lei was a people oriented dog. She liked everyone. Gus, on the other hand, I have to watch him a little when strangers come around as he gets kinda territorial. He's ok after he knows they are alright.

I feel very blessed to have been able to share the time Sofei and I had together and I will be moving toward giving Gus a lot more attention. He will appreciate it I'm sure. Do you think he will get sick of all those car rides?

Thank you to everyone who shared their sympathies, sharing your memories, and advice. It did help a lot. My wife and I were reminiscing this morning about Sofei. It hurts but yet feels good to remember.

Thanks again.

Now, go love your Vizsla!!!!!! :)

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I am so, so, sorry my friend.
You did the right thing. As hard as it was, it was the right thing.
She'll always run in your memories.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
it is even gut wrenching to read your story... just nothing which will make it easier for you and your family right now.
i think only dog people can understand that special bond we have with our beautiful, smart and endlessly loyal fury family.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They are amazing creatures. They have an unconditional love and loyalty to you. They love you as you are. They don't care if you are fat, ugly, or dumb. You are their friend and they will love you and stand by you till death. They may even put their life on the line to save yours. You just can't ask for much more than that. Us humans don't always match these standards that they have.

·
Administrator
8,535 Posts
So very sorry for your family's loss.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well yesterday April 9, 2021 I helped Sofei get up off the bed to go outside first thing in the morning. She fell once going down the hallway, again off the porch, again while going to the bathroom, and again coming back to the house. I told my wife, this is the tipping point of having to do something and she agreed.

Sofei was never a good rider in the car. She whined a lot and you had to go a long way before she would lay down and sleep. Well she did not whine a bit on the way to the vet which was a first in 13+ years. Our appointment was for 1 pm. So we did have some cuddle time during the am.

The experience of watching your friend go to sleep not to ever wake up again was gut wrenching at best. My wife said no more dogs and I guess I have to agree. Its just so hard to let go. I keep wishing for another hour to spend with her. But we do have Gus, another Viszla who is going on 5 years. He is helping us through this very sad time. I don't know whether it is fair to him to be by himself, but the pain of loss is so huge to consider another. It is so quite here at home even with Gus here. He has been kinda quite too.

I did let Gus see Sofei and see her buried so that he knows where she is. I did not want him wondering about her.

Sofei Lei was a people oriented dog. She liked everyone. Gus, on the other hand, I have to watch him a little when strangers come around as he gets kinda territorial. He's ok after he knows they are alright.

I feel very blessed to have been able to share the time Sofei and I had together and I will be moving toward giving Gus a lot more attention. He will appreciate it I'm sure. Do you think he will get sick of all those car rides?

Thank you to everyone who shared their sympathies, sharing your memories, and advice. It did help a lot. My wife and I were reminiscing this morning about Sofei. It hurts but yet feels good to remember.

Thanks again.

Now, go love your Vizsla!!!!!! :)
I am so sorry for your loss. Reading through these posts it is evident how very much Sofei was loved. Its never an easy thing and I still remember the day we had to put our Viszla down over 11 years ago. Keeping you and your wife in my thoughts and prayers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts