Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! We have a 6 month vizsla puppy who is still having trouble with potty training. He is great when we leave him gated in the kitchen while we are at work all day. He will hold it for 8 hours but if I bring him into the living room he will poop on the rug even after he has gone out every 30mins. Any advice will be helpful.

·
Registered
77 Posts
That’s a tough one. My Vizsla took almost 6mos to fully potty train also. My only thoughts/advice are: 1. HEAP on praise (maybe even food reward) when you manage to catch him defecating in the proper place (yard)...you will have to be there with him and reward immediately, 2. avoid giving him any opportunity to poop on carpet, 3. You can try voice scolding, however, that merely scared my girl and she didn’t make the immediate connection of it with potty training so rewarding the good behavior is your best bet.

I discovered that potty training a Vizsla was vastly different than a German Shepard and I’ve heard that the V’s can vary among them in their maturity and how they take to the potty training. It can be an exhausting process; he will eventually get it. Just remain patient and reward him like a champ when he does it outside and limit opportunities for him to fail inside until he gets it!

Also, if you look through old forum posts you will see lots of interesting ideas with mats and other approaches.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts