Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any advice about adopting a 6 month old vizsla vs getting an 8 week old puppy? Will my lifelong bond be greater with the dog if i get it younger, or will the 6 month old adapt and bond equally as well.

thanks

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
IMO the puppy stage is pretty stressing on U and the dog if never had a puppy before.

6 month Vs are not fully mature and there is still lots of time to bond.
We have a 5 month old (got him @ 7.5 weeks) and have seen him grow and mature :-X, perhaps the bond is a little stronger and I trust him off leash (not all the time). Perhaps we can predict each other more.

Question is adopting a 6 month old vs buying a puppy? In this case I would adopt the 6 month old.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I adopted my dog, Willie, out of the dog pound when he was approximately two years old. I'm a lifelong dog owner, and I don't believe I've ever had a stronger human-dog bond than what I have with my Willie Boy!

So to answer your question, the six-month-old will bond with you equally as well. I would not hesitate. Be kind to him and love him, and he will love you right back.

p.s. With a six-month-old, you have already missed some of the more trying parts of puppyhood, just like datacan said.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I adopted my WH-Viszla when he was 6 months and I was worried about bonding also. I haven't had any problems. He loves everyone but I'm the one he saves his special love bite for. LOL. I'd go with the 6 month.

On top of that, River is up for adoption if anyone would like him. He will be 2 in Nov, but is still maturing and will bond with a new owner. He loves everybody, especially the person that feeds him. I have to move to Germany and don't want to risk not finding a home because I have too many dogs. He is free to a good and caring home.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts