Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a female pup. 5 months old. she is only 16 inches tall at the shoulders. Does that seem on the small side? Does anyone know where she should be at height wise at 21 weeks?

·
Registered
48 Posts
My Molly is 5 months old female and she weighs 35 lbs and is 20 inches tall. I have no idea what they should be at this age. I also asked when they stop growing but I don't have an answer for the either.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Don't know if this will be helpful, as Bodhi is a male, but it might give you an idea of the growth (mass) curve I measured over the last 2+ years.

Bodhi's growth rate slowed down at about 8 months and stabilized at 12 months. He seems to be having another growth spurt around 22 months.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I replied in another thread as well. Pumpkin is 5m, and she is 21" to withers. 16" of leg. Bodhi, where did you find that growth chart for male Vs?

·
Registered
80 Posts
kellygh,

Bodhi, our male Vizsla (still in-tacked), lives with a scientist (me)... As such, he was subjected to weekly mass measurements and the corresponding scatter chart plots as part of his "growing up rituals" in our home. I lived in a home with pencil marks on the door jam with date and height notations, so I figured it was not that odd (geeky) to do the same with Bodhi.

Anyway, I had the same questions you guys had. How big is Bodhi going to be? Other than the odd person telling us we had a cute pup, and he has big paws and therefore he will be a big boy, there was no growth charts for Vizsla's to be found to help predict his final weight. So, I started weighing Bodhi weekly... I hope this chart will help others by comparing your dogs weight and age to Bodhi's and determine if your pup is going to be bigger or smaller than ~ 57 lbs at 1.8 years (20 months). I also heard that Vizsla grow in spurts, but the data suggests that he had a consistent growth rate until about 8 months when it slowed down and finally tapered off at about 12 months. However this is just one dogs growth progression, "your mileage may vary"...

I plan on continuing Bodhi's mass measurements but at a reduced frequency and post them on his blog (see signature below for the URL). If I could do it again, I would have measured Bodhi's height to the withers at the same frequency as the mass measurements to have a more complete growth chart. I guess that will be corrected when we decide to add another Vizsla to the family. ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So my math may be off since I am no scientist. But, at 5mo old I could probably expect anouther 25% in growth, by that she seems a bit on the low end of the size standards, but still within the exceptble range.
That graph is pretty cool.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Our guy stopped growing at about 15 months. When I say that I mean in height.
He is still filling out and he is just 2 months shy of 24 months.
Last time he was on a scale was at the beginning of December, and he weighed 22.9kg, he is 24" to the withers.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Bohdi,

I came across your blog about three months ago and love reading Bohdi's adventures. I have been consulting your growth chart ever since. Dax has always been a pound or two behind Bohdi so I expect he'll top out in the low to mid 50's.

How tall is that handsome boy of yours? Dax just turned eight months old and is 48 lbs. and about 22 inches tall.

One last question... I know Bohdi is named after the tree, but how is it pronounced, is the "i" a long i, or does it sound more like an "e"?

Bruce

·
Registered
80 Posts
ChukarDog,

At five months, Bodhi was ~36 lbs. At twelve months Bodhi was ~56 lbs. He increased in weight by ~56% [ (56-36)/36=0.56 ]. So if she grows at the same rate as Bodhi (assumption, a male in-tacked Vizsla grows at the same rate as a female Vizsla) you can multiply her current weight by 1.56 to predict what she may weigh at twelve months.

I hope that helps!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Cavedog,

Bodhi is ~24.5 inches to the withers at ~22 months old (but this tends to be a hard measurement for me to perform as Bodhi does not stand still at the wall). He is a big boy according to some people who have American Vizsla's. Bodhi is from Australia (Hubertus Vizsla) but lives in Hawaii (Australia, New Zealand and England don't have rabies so there is no quarantine when you import your pet to Hawaii).

Bodhi is annunciated "Bow-dee" like Patrick Swayze character in the movie "Point Break". Or... Bodhisattva... For the record Bodhi has enlightened us in many ways...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hey Kian, is he really only 23 kg?? Merc is now 3 years but since he was 2 he has been 32 kg ( I have a hard time doing lb to kg in my head so can't work out how big all the other dogs are). I have been told he is big for a V and also have heard in a couple of places that Aussie vizslas are big but 10 kg difference seems a lot.

The vet has always been ok with his weight so I don't really worry but I do get tired of the " oh what a big dog" comments (he was playing with a Great Dane this afternoon, now that was a big dog!)

·
Registered
809 Posts
Mercutio said:
Hey Kian, is he really only 23 kg?? Merc is now 3 years but since he was 2 he has been 32 kg ( I have a hard time doing lb to kg in my head so can't work out how big all the other dogs are). I have been told he is big for a V and also have heard in a couple of places that Aussie vizslas are big but 10 kg difference seems a lot.

The vet has always been ok with his weight so I don't really worry but I do get tired of the " oh what a big dog" comments (he was playing with a Great Dane this afternoon, now that was a big dog!)
Mercutio, yes, Kian is within Canadian breed "standard". We have seen other males in our parts that are bigger than he is.
Personally we think he's a good size, if he were any bigger he wouldn't make such a good lap dog ;D

·
Registered
2 Posts
First, I'm new to the forums and I'm glad I found one this one! My (almost) 5-month old Milo seems to be underweight if I was to use Bohdi as the standard. He turns 5 first week in February but as of last weekend, he weighs in at 29 lbs. Does that seem right? His vet at his last visit said that he's doing fine but I can't help but feel that he's underweight. Thoughts?

·
Registered
42 Posts
My Sophie (female) turns 5 months 1/27/11 (Tuesday) and last Tuesday weighed 29.6 pounds. She seems to grow overnight and seems just fine for weight on her body.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Our female puppy is now 4 months old and was weighed yesterday at 21.5 pounds. Not sure about height though, but she is all legs really.

At 3 months she was 12.5 pounds so she's gained 9 pounds in 4 weeks. If she continues like this we assumer she'll be about 48 pounds when she's full grown.

People constantly assume she's going to be bigger than that however, b/c of her large paws. Her parents were not really big and she was the runt.

How much weight gain did people experience with their Vs between 4 and 5 months?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Clover-Our V pup was 28lbs @ 5m. She turned 6m on the 14th, and she is now 21" to withers & 36 lbs ??? !!!! Wow. They grow quick. I hope Pumpkin stays under 23".

1 - 20 of 39 Posts