Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my wife has got the itch for a new pack member. This would be 3 in the house.

When she /we got #2 I was very concerned with how it would work out. Well she was right and I was wrong (as usual) 2 have been easier than 1.
My worry is that a third will disrupt the pack. Our 2 get along so well now.

She is actually looking at a designer dog, a weizsla which most likely will end up being bigger than our v"s that come in at 40-45 lbs.

Get a male or female? We have a intact male and a spayed female.

They get along fine with other dogs that are met while on a walk.

My last concern is can she handle a new pup. I am scheduled for a new knee in a week and the pup can come home a week later so I will be of NO help with the pup AND I will need a fair amount of help for a month till I can get going.. My wife is an active 65 year old but she will have a lot of pressure for a few months.

I have been discouraging the third at this point. I just do not think the work load with me AND a new pup will be very manageable.

Lots of questions!

Input appreciated

· Administrator
9,481 Posts
It very much depends on the dynamics between the dogs, and a persons time/willingness to work with all three dogs. Some things are known, as in how well your two get along with other dogs/puppies. The unknown is the new puppy’s temperament, and how well it will fit into the pack. That part is always like rolling the dice. If you go with a long term purebred breeder, that knows their bloodlines for many generations, and temperament tests. You get a little better odds.
JMO
Going with a designer breed, you are not dealing with someone that is trying to improve either breed. Most have no idea what problems may lurk further back in the bloodlines. Both vizslas, and Weimaraner can have behavioral problems. The puppy could get the best of both breeds, or the worst of both breeds.

I have 4 Vizslas, and I can say I am truly at my limit. I’m retired, and spend my days doing dog things. That is the only way I have been able to do it. Plus have family close by, if I need them. I learned a couple of months after getting my last puppy, that I’m going to need a knee replacement. I’m putting it off (if possible) until the start of the summer. That way Heifer will be a little older, and I have a chance to get her further along in training.
We all have our limits, and I have no idea what your wife’s limit is. I would start looking at dog walkers, if she is set on the new puppy. Your going to need help while you recover. The older dogs will need exercise, and the new puppy will not be old enough to run with them.
You will be in my thoughts. I’ve been told knee replacement can be very painful, and the rehab is no fun.
Deb

Reactions: TrumpetBlast

· Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The pup we would get would be from the same breeder our current 2 are from. So she/ we are comfortable On there pedigree, personality.
My wife is retired and she takes care of the dogs/cats.
They are run almost everyday on the trails near our home.Plus we have 5 acres under electric fence

The knee replacement is challenging. First couple of days were not pleasant. Make sure you do physical therapy and exercises as instructed.
My short term memory loss is handy right now as I do not remember the pain from the first knee. 3 months ago. :) Was off the oxycontin in 3 days.

· Registered
1,848 Posts
I’m not a fan of “ designer dogs”. I’m sorry, I just view that avenue as unnecessary.
There are more than enough breeds already, and way to many dogs of indiscriminate breeding in shelters and rescues.
I also know ‘Weim breeders that have dedicated their lives to bringing that breed back from the brink of oblivion that they were suffering from in the 80’s.
Weimaraner’s are beautiful dogs in their own right. They don’t need crossing out.
I’ve had two knee surgeries, as well as both shoulders done. I personally would not consider getting any type of an active sporting breed of dog until my knee was ready to go, A small house breed dog, maybe. Nothing like a Weim’ or a Vizsla.
I would campaign hard for a delay.

· Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried to delay but a new pup is coming on the 19th.
I had several try's at convincing my bride to wait to no avail.

SHE SAYS SHE CAN HANDLE IT.
If The new pup is like the most current it will be ok. If it is like our first there will be tears.

My surgery is 10 days old and I am doing much better than my previous surgery, so I will be able to help some.

Lets hope the new pup is an easy one!

I hope I will still be allowed here with a weislza.:)
So 2 1/2 V"s!

· Administrator
9,481 Posts
Of course you will be allowed here, and we expect puppy pictures.
At least your wife asks, and discusses it with you.
My husband is use to me just bringing one home.
Shine was “Happy Birthday to me, isn’t my new puppy beautiful.”
Heifer was “ What’s the best kind of prize? A surprise!!” His response was “Awe, hand over the puppy.”
He has told me 4 is our limit, but he said 3 was the limit, when we had 3. Who really knows 🤣🤣 Just so lucky to have married a man that understands, dogs make me happy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts