Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I pick up my little girl on 29th January. I can't wait. I work full time but from home 3 out of 5 days - hoping to take her to work for remaining 2 but do have daughters around if needs be. I'm a hiker and love distances over 10 miles so once she can do the miles we will be travelling around the UK on lots of walking adventures. I understand this will take at least a year to enable her bones to grow. Guess I'll be doing some carrying (pet rucksack?).

I'm buying various necessary items and I think I'm erring on the side of no crate. I have a pet bed and will buy some fluffy blankets/rugs so she has a main bed but other areas to lie on. I shall persevere without the crate and see how we go. I live in a bungalow so all on one level and plan to put her bed in my bedroom - closer to back garden, then one of the rugs in kitchen for when I nip out. I'll get a stair gate to block kitchen door. I am planning a new kitchen so I guess if she has a go at the cupboards it's no major problem! ☺

Any suggestions for things I definitely should get and any tips would be most welcome.

Louise

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Congrat’s on your upcoming arrival.You're in for many years of memories.
As for the hikes and walks, she’ll be ready to join you sooner than you think.
The bones will develop, and growth plates will close, over the first two years , but as long as she is free to set her own pace, and dynamically move while exploring, exercise, within moderation, is what she needs. As long as you’re not running her On a leash,at a static pace, on hard packed dirt or asphalt, you should be fine.
I have a preserve area near me with an 8 mile loop. At no time am I ever more than a mile from the truck. Finn and I used to break that up onto smaller loops, crossing through the dense forest to get back. It was good for him to get off the trails, and put his nose to work.
The crate is a personal choice, but I would strongly suggest crate training. Should you ever have to travel with her, board her,or leave her at the Vet’s overnight, she’ll be much more comfortable.
Transporting dogs in a vehicle is much safer in a crate. I’m a hypocrite in this because Finn is usually in the back seat of the truck. But they are safer in a crate.
Have lots of fun!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shall I buy a smaller crate then another as she grows or the larger size with a divider?

·
Registered
Ellie
414 Posts
Shall I buy a smaller crate then another as she grows or the larger size with a divider?
I suggest to save yourself money and just get the larger crate now. They usually need a larger model than what the typical guides would say since they have very long legs. We didn't use the divider and I don't think it is necessary provided the pup is getting the appropriate amount of potty breaks. They usually come with one so it is there if you feel you need it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I suggest to save yourself money and just get the larger crate now. They usually need a larger model than what the typical guides would say since they have very long legs. We didn't use the divider and I don't think it is necessary provided the pup is getting the appropriate amount of potty breaks. They usually come with one so it is there if you feel you need it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts