Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
We have an 11 week old pup who will get quite aggressive at times biting and growling. Our previous V did not do this as a puppy so we are unsure how to stop the behavior. Often times it is when he is tired so off to bed he goes but other times he will only be up for 20 minutes and it starts. It is the worst with my 14 year old daughter. We have tried giving him toys, chews, training session of commands with treats to distract him from it but it hasn’t worked consistently. Any tips?

·
Registered
76 Posts
11 weeks old is still a baby. When mine was that young, it didn’t matter how long he’d been awake, if he got crazy, he’d go in the crate. If it was just playful nipping and biting, I’d play with him but try to teach him not to bite me but the toys instead, or give him something to tear up or chew or play with. But if he got cray cray, even if only awake for 20min, he’d go back to crate to chill out (after outside to pee/poo). Crate can be not just for napping but also safe spot to get chill. And often he’d sleep again. Little puppies like babies sleep a ton.

·
Registered
Ellie
583 Posts
Sounds normal, you probably just got lucky with your first V! Defend yourself with tons of toys, scheduled enforced crate nap times, when teeth on you never react except with your displeasure word/sound, then replace with toy and make happy fun sounds and be animated when he interacts with the toy. Hang in there it will pass.

He's probably picking on your daughter just like Ellie did with our daughter who was 8 at the time. Children are more apt to react to the rough "play" which feeds the pups desire to keep at it. Swinging arms, yelling, crying, etc... to a pup thats all fun and games. They don't understand that kind of language means "please stop you are hurting me".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts