Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-

Our female Vizlsa has always been an awesome dog, very sensitive and mild separation anxiety over the years.

However after turning age 10 over the last 6 months she has started "night waking" and coming in our room and waking us up with whining 2-3x per night. We always thought it was because she needed to go out, but the more we thought about it we felt it could have been anxiety.

Last week we went to vet and vet wanted to rule everything out:
-Blood work (came back fine and apparently didn't show any signs of kidney/liver or other disease)
-Urine test (came back fine and didn't show UTI or urination problems)
-X-ray ruled out arthritis

Vet suggested that at age 10, this may be early signs of aging/dementia/night wandering and confusion.

We started her on some calming chews (non-CBD) but were also recommended CBD chews to help her to relax and sleep better at night. She seems to be generally confused at night and feels the need to wake us up and get resettled.

Wondering if anyone else has had this and has had luck with CBD chews.

We are open to any suggestions. Thanks.

·
Administrator
8,585 Posts
You can also give her melatonin about a hour before bed time.
Start her out on 5mg, but depending on her weight most Vizslas can take up to 11mg.
My senior has been on it for the last year.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the melatonin suggestion - she is 40 lbs so how much might you recommend for that size?

·
Registered
Oscar, 14 months, Vizsla
33 Posts
Hi there!
I am actually taking melatonin myself and it was recommended to take 5mg for my weight which is roughly 115 pounds, so my deduction is that it would be recommended to give a 40 pound dog 2 mg. I don't think that 3 would hurt either. The 5 mg I am taking have a mild effect - make me sleep right away when I get into bed and I have started to sleep for 6 hours uninterrupted - so it's not a high dosage and it has not affected my levels of energy during the day at all (actually has improved them because I sleep more profound). Melatonin also has some other health benefits that may aid an aging dog (like lowering the cholesterol, improving circulation and reducing the risk of blood clotting).
Good luck with your pup and to many more years of health and joy!

·
Administrator
8,585 Posts
I had a holistic vet tell me the amount for my female. She's 54lbs.
I wouldn't go over 5-6mg without consulting with a vet.
FYI not all regular vets will know the correct dosage. There just happened to be a holistic vet in the same practice, so the vet I used was able to ask her.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts