Hungarian Vizsla Forums - Reply to Topic
Thread: What is it Your Vizsla is allergic to?????Please Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hungarian Vizsla Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
09-15-2014 07:41 PM
Re: What is it Your Vizsla is allergic to?????Please


Found another of the buggers 'corkscrewed' into my pup this evening!!! :-\
07-27-2014 06:35 PM
Re: What is it Your Vizsla is allergic to?????Please

I came here today to ask the same question! About a week ago, we moved to a new house with 3 fenced acres, and Barnaby has been in heaven running off leash. There was no problem until yesterday morning, when he woke up with lumps all over his body -- maybe they are hives, but most of them were really large (see the picture).

I washed all the sheets, dog beds, and the couch cushion covers in case there were mites or something like my new lotion or shampoo was causing the reaction, and also gave him a bath. The lumps receded and went away for the afternoon, then came back with the same severity in the evening. This morning they were mostly gone, and we've been walking him on-leash today in case it is something in the yard.

Since there wasn't a problem for the first week, if it is something in the yard, I assume it's because it's blooming or seeding or something like that. There is some tall grass, but that's never caused him problems before (and he's run around in a lot of it).

Edit: He's not particularly itchy and it's not affecting his eyes, mouth, mucous membranes, or his breathing.
07-23-2014 01:56 AM
Re: What is it Your Vizsla is allergic to?????Please

Forgot to attach picture.
07-23-2014 01:53 AM
Re: What is it Your Vizsla is allergic to?????Please


Poor Jax has been having an allergic reaction since Tuesday of last week. We have been to the vet twice and have been put in Benadryl and hydrocortisone shampoo baths.

Has anyone seen reactions like these? Started on back paws, then front, then nose. Chest and arm pits came today.

06-29-2014 04:18 PM
Re: What is it Your Vizsla is allergic to?????Please

Vip was allergic to grasses, though it's possible that it wasn't really an allergy. Grasses contain long silica crystals that make you itchy just like fiberglass does. Consider that many Vizslas are not as tall as the grass they run through, so they can get those irritating crystals all over themselves. This will happen in the fall/winter as well as any other time, so you can probably distinguish it from an actual pollen allergy.

Molds are out there, too.

When Vip's ears got yeasty it would set off itchiness on the rest of his body.

His really serious allergy, though, was to rubber and latex. Raquetballls and tennis balls would give him quarter-sized hives, and it took me a long time to realize they were the source. Try toys by Zygoflex, Orca (the blue translucent stuff), and others. Latex is a common enough allergy in humans, and plants make latex to discourage herbivory... makes sense that it'd be irritating stuff.

Best bet for skin irritants vs actual allergens is get your dog accustomed to bathing, and bathe it after it's run through grass etc.
06-19-2014 01:46 PM
Re: What is it Your Vizsla is allergic to?????Please

"Tough spring" is an understatement with a list like that! Hope the Apoquel works!
06-19-2014 12:45 PM
Bob Engelhardt
Re: What is it Your Vizsla is allergic to?????Please

Originally Posted by Emily1970
... It's been a very tough spring for Riley. ...
Oh, my! Poor Riley, and poor you. 'Hope the Apoquel works.
06-19-2014 09:31 AM
Re: What is it Your Vizsla is allergic to?????Please

I can relate to all of you. It's been a very tough spring for Riley. We had him allergy tested and out of 80+ items tested he is moderately to severely allergic to well over 60. The shots did not work. The sublingual drops did not work. The specialist said that we would try Apoquel, but there's been a severe availability issue on the product so we've been winging it and treating the symptoms. 3 Benadryl in the morning, 3 at noon, 3 at bedtime, eye ointment at night, eye drops in the morning, Ketaconazole 3x a week, and anti-yeast medicated wipes 2x a day. We just got the call yesterday that they had managed to get some Apoquel for Riley so we go in tonight. He has to be infection free in order to go on it and I'm not sure that we are infection free so we'll see. There's so much he's allergic to we can't very well put him in a bubble so we just play it day to day. Seems like our poor V's are prone to allergies.
06-18-2014 09:48 AM
Re: What is it Your Vizsla is allergic to?????Please

I ended up taking Gus to the vet. He has Demotex which is mites. She assured me that this was common in puppies because their immune system has not fully developed. It doesn't bother him at all but he is starting to look pitiful! The inside of his ears is full of tiny red bumps. He's also starting to get spots on his head, face, and shoulders. She applied a topical solution called Advantage. She said we would do that every 2 weeks until they're gone. She gave me enough for 3 applications. Has anyone experienced this? She didn't say how long it would take to start noticing results. We're spending a week at the lake at the end of June. I hope his hair starts coming back before then.
06-17-2014 05:41 PM
Re: What is it Your Vizsla is allergic to?????Please

Originally Posted by Bob
Originally Posted by Janders
... I'm trying to decide if I should take him to the vet or just give him a Benadryl. If Benadryl - how much - he's 40 pounds & 5 months old.
Try it & if it's going to work, it should do it quickly. If it doesn't, then vet.

According to the "Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook", the dosage is 2 mg per pound, every 8 hours. That would be 3 - 25mg tablets every 8 hours. Which sounds like a LOT to me. I'd start smaller.

Our vet says one MG / pound. So, when W was 50 lbs, we gave him two 25 mg tablets.

This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome