Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

HELP PLEASE! Naughty 6 month old puppy!

29K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  Allie&Atom 
#1 ·
Hi,

This is my first post in this forum but I read a lot of other posts and try to learn from similar experiences!. My husband and I have a male puppy about to turn 6 months old, I am not a very experienced dog owner and I am his primary owner!.

He pulls like a freight train on his normal collar and I have tried a head collar (goes around his snout and clips at the top of his head), it works a treat but he HATES it so much, he tries to roll around in the grass every chance he gets trying to get it off his nose!.

Yesterday, I tried walking him on just his normal collar and it snapped off! i had to catch him before he ran off. I put his collar back on before he got away and was holding him from his collar in case it snapped again. That was when he saw my mum walking towards us and went physco because he was so excited. He was trying to jump whilst i was holding him, flipping around mid air, howling and even starting to bite my hand that was holding him back!!! not a nice experience for both of us.
I kept holding him back and firmly kept saying 'no, calm down!' until he sat and finally stopped.

Sometimes he will bark back when we tell him 'No' when he has done something naughty and sometimes will run away too when he knows hes being naughty. He also does do the submissive pose or cower when I raise my voice when hes really naughty. When I ask him a command I always have to ask several times before he will do it! If I dont have a treat I feel like he ignores the command! Like when we walk him and stop at a crossing, we always make him sit. If we have treats he will do it straight away generally, otherwise if we have no treats we have to stand there and wait until he sits after we give the command! it takes forever! he seems to ignore us and we cant get his focus.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to do with a naughty 6 month old puppy and how to get them to respect you!? I guess he does not see me yet as his leader (yet) and likes to test!

so sorry for the long post!! This is a few months of built up frustration!! Thanks

Christina

See less See more
#28 ·
btw. the latest Pointing Dog journal has an article about how to use the slip collar properly to teach heal walking. i tried that method with Miksa over the weekend and it worked immediately with him. today i was already walking him to the mailbox on a bungee handsfree running leash and one of our neighbors texted me afterwards that they cannot believe how he walks like a pro. and yes, i still use treats and kibble for that, but since he is not very food driven, it seem still more the method than the food itself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.