Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

age of first heat?

29K views 51 replies 24 participants last post by  emilycn 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Just thought I'd poll the forum members on this, as all my research says a first heat can occur anywhere from around 6 months to around 18 months. I asked my breeder, who said that Lua's mother, her mother's mother, and her full sister from another litter all first came in season at 6 months old. It sounds early to me, but you can't fight genetics...

So what age was your V's first heat?

#2 ·
Willow hit Hers just shy of 10 months and its a big big Tester at times :)

day 23 still having some :'( :-\

#3 ·
Ruby had a "mini" one at 6 months, followed by the full monty a month later.

#5 ·
That would be spayed ;) Nutter is nuts some fun ;D

#8 ·
Jenn has mine on ice of late as well ;D

thank Lordy for the Reds and I have downstairs Man cave :) and a one only Harley

freedom is not free ;)

she told me I will be clipped soon

I just yell upstairs when do we eat?

then Run

she said my communication skills need grilling ???

these Cougars have cruel attitudes and the "Scott Italy" blood dna mixer has me in a boiling pot most days

these are days when are are Kids coming for a visit next honey Bunny?

they ran about age 20 out of the Cooko Nest :-\ :'( ;D

Maturity and old age are over rated

I am 25 alive and Happy Pants ::) and trust me a 5ft 4 Hits all the wrong Locations On a Biggen :-\

I taught Her The Great inside left Hook

The Body not the Nuts :-X ;D

Attachments

#15 ·
It's reassuring to hear other pups are slow to have their first heat ;D

Laika is 16 months, and people always look at me weird when I mention she hasn't had her first heat cycle yet. It had gotten to the point where I was thinking about taking her in to the vet, to see if she needed to be tested for some form of hormone deficiency.

#16 ·
Laika unless you plan on breeding her I wouldn't worry about taking for tests. My vet thought it was odd penny hadn't yet either when we took her in a few months ago for something else but she added there wasn't really much she could about it or test for. As long Penny is healthy Im more than happy to pass on spay surgery!

#18 ·
I guess I jinxed myself replying to this thread earlier. Kiya went into heat today :'( She is 15.5 months now.

I had a feeling this would happen as we are supposed to go to my inlaws for a few days before Christmas. She was not going to be welcomed with open arms by my mother in law anyway...now I'm not sure what is going to happen. If we go, she is probably going to be ordered to stay in the basement, which is where I will be for 3 days also. :(

#19 ·
Carolina Blue,

Ellie is right at the age her mom went into heat and has been very crabby the last week so I am wondering if we will be dealing with this over Christmas as well. Luckily, we are going to our cabin, so there will be no family bad attitude about the dog. We have an RV and my plan is whenever we need to visit somewhere the dog is not welcome with open arms, we will just stay in the RV! My husband prefers the privacy and his own bed anyway.

#20 ·
The past couple weeks she has been biting hands, shoes, leash; loss of appetite; more snugly; whiny at times, restless.

Normally we travel in our RV too..i would rather..the bed is much more comfortable in the traveling home than at his parents. We are going to PA - most likely there will be snow/ice..don't think the home will move through that very well! I'd rather just stay home.

#21 ·
Ellie has been biting also and she has been growly sometimes when being handled. I am not sure if it is hormones or a setback in her behavioral issues (behaviorist said it could be either). She is also having little spazz fits like she used to have when she was a puppy where she just goes nuts barking, jumping, biting etc. No loss of appetite and only restless at night before bed, but that is pretty normal for her.

I would not be thrilled about driving the RV in snow and ice either. If the weather and MIL are going to be unpleasant, I am afraid I would suddenly come down with a "stomach virus" ;).

#26 ·
Ester had her first season at around 8months old I think. She is just finishing her 3rd (and hopefully last) season, and she's 2 in February. She gets a bit moodier than normal, tends to lose a bit of weight, possibly because she is even more fussy with her food and is generally downright miserable. Bless her. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.