Hungarian Vizsla Forums - View Single Post - How much exercise does a 4 month old need?
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 08:18 AM
luv2laugh

Re: How much exercise does a 4 month old need?

I would add that there is a HUGE difference between off leash and on leash running. On leash running is repetitive and the same motion over and over and over again. Off leash running is stopping and starting, turning, sprinting, jogging, sniffing - a lot more range of motion and less hard on the body.

I'll attach the guidelines a breeder gave to me for ON LEASH. Not MY breeder, just a concerned responsible breeder I asked questions to when we first started looking for a vizsla. I tend to come from the philosophy that these pups do have some instincts, but they are also babies and don't know when to stop sometimes. He would have jumped off and on high things until he hurt himself. I think it's good to look into it and wise that you don't want to push him beyond limits. That being said they can have a lot of fun before they are 18-24 months, just off leash fun at their own pace.

It was initially difficult for us to wait to run on leash with the boy. That was a big reason, we decided to have a vizsla. But, we did it and now he's running with my hubby. We're still waiting to bike with him until he's two, but I feel good about that decision and it makes it easier.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Puppies and Exercise Not So Much(1).pdf (27.5 KB, 104 views)
File Type: pdf Puppies and Exercise Not So Much(1).pdf (27.5 KB, 82 views)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome