As RDB stated;
"There are the 1% who go into something with PASSION. The other 99% get advantage of what the 1% do."
Why do anything for that matter, if we adopt her philosophy?
Why train horses to perform Dressage? I mean really. Dressage is a battlefield training exercise for mounted horseman in battle, with swords, lances and pikes. What is done today resembles little of what it actually is for.
Why train horses for 3 day Eventing, or to field trial with a dog? Why train either one?
Why do so many Warmbloods and Quarter horses have a Thoroughbred hiding in the wood pile?
The answer: For the sheer athleticism that the Thoroughbred brings to the table.
The same is true for the all age, hard charging field trailing dog. This dog brings back the athleticism to the breed and perpetuates the foundation stock from which all benefit. This is Thoroughbred of the breed. Born and bred to do nothing more than it was intended for. Hunt!
25 years ago the Vizsla was thought to be unsuitable for field trailing. "Velcro dogs" they were called, and it wasn't meant as a compliment. Many thought they were little more use afield than a pet shop Cocker Spaniel. People, fellow hunters, used to deride me about wasting my money on "half a hunting dog", and more a "boot licker", until they saw Boone go, and saw exactly what a Vizsla was all about.
The dog that came after Boone, Silkcut, was an even bigger runner. Not the same intensity as Boone, but he could outrun a horse. Boone was focused power, Silkcut was lungs on legs, but my god could both of them hunt. Gunnr is between the two of them.
Is the All age dog important? Absolutely. Without those dogs in the mix, those of us that don't chase titles and trials, have less chance of getting a hunting dog that actually works.
Titles earned on the field are nice, and I respect the folks that peruse them for the purpose of bettering the breed, but if those titles don't actually demonstrate a complete dog they're meaningless.
A dog that trials well, and can actually hunt off a trials course, is the dog I want my dogs from.
I might be a little biased in this regard though.
I guess I should mention that we also own an ex race horse out of the AP Indy bloodline.
I love watching that hammer run. It takes your breath away. Unless of course you're already in the pasture and he's running up to you. Then it gets a little nervy.