Hungarian Vizsla Forums - View Single Post - Question for allergy sufferers...and exercise
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 08:27 AM
gunnr

Re: Question for allergy sufferers...and exercise

As far as dogs go, V's are pretty clean. They have a single coat of hair which replaces itself constantly, so there is no real shed cycle. The hair is a little bit coarser than the hair on your arm, and about as long. Regular vacuming will be more than sufficient.
The exercise issue is fairly straight forward, the more the better. Vizsla's can obtain some pretty incredible fitness levels. Mine used to be able to run for hours while I road my Mtn Bike with them. They can also be big couch potatoes too, but they're ready to go when you are.
If you're worried about keeping up with them, don't, because you can't. They'll adjust to you, so no worries there. Give them room to run and they'll quarter and circle around you as you walk checking back in and going out again.
If you really need to exercise your Vizsla, use a tennis racket to whack balls on a football field for the dog. Saves the wear and tear on your arm.
I know people that have Vizsla's on hundred+ acre farms, and people with full time jobs that have them in apartments in Boston. The dogs and owners in both situations are happy. It can be done.
They will sort of take over your life, but I find that I like to include them in as many things as possible. They're great companions and friends. I currently have two females.

You'll never beat a lesson into a dog, you just beat desire out.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome