Second Opinion ? - Page 2 - Hungarian Vizsla Forums
 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 01:36 PM
Member
 
1stVizsla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Michigan
Posts: 74
Re: Second Opinion ?

Glad to hear you found a vet who can help him. Good luck in his recovery.
1stVizsla is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 355
Re: Second Opinion ?

Vet got back to me briefly today. He's been trying to get a hold of specialist. Willard's blood work came back really good. Again, the only thing is the protein lvl is low (was actually lower on this one). He is losing protein in his urine but his urine was really concentrated (which the vet said is a good thing) but it makes it hard to know if it is actually high or if it is just showing up that way because his urine is concentrated. There is another test they can run to confirm but he wants to talk to the specialist first to make sure he doesn't just waste my money on a test that won't tell us anything.

There was also something else that was a little elevated in his urine which could indicate 2 different conditions. I can't remember the first one but the second one is Amyloidosis and beagles are one of the families of dogs that it is known in. So the vet is leaning more towards that than the other one. I guess the "good news" is that it could just be being caused by his MMM so hopefully treating that will get him back to normal and this will go away -- unless it's genetic, then we'll have to address that.

We started him on a higher dose of steroids last night and he did perk up and even wanted to get up this morning when we got up around 7 (normally he just lays on his dog bed until I force him to get up and go out for a few minutes to use the bathroom).
Anida is offline  
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 355
Re: Second Opinion ?

Talked to the vet again today. He got a hold of the specialist finally. She thinks Willard has some sort of fungal infection or other kind of infection that is causing his symptoms (lyme disease or valley fever but neither of those make sense given our area and we don't travel with Willard). Took him in and got another urine sample to send off for a more detailed analysis to confirm the protein level.
Anida is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 355
Re: Second Opinion ?

Bad news is that it is looking more and more like glomerulonephritis. We ended up having to run Willard up the vet hospital this weekend. He collapsed on Friday night around 11pm and was yelping. Then his nose started bleeding a few hours later. The specialist thinks he threw a blood clot in one of his legs hence the collapsing and yelping.

We also found out he has high blood pressure, which pretty much is part of glomerulonephritis. He protein levels are even lower than they were in December. He is currently on blood pressure meds and on a blood thinner. He's been acting so much happier and like he feels better. He follows me around the house and actually has been balancing on his hind legs to "beg" for food which is something he hasn't even attempted for the last 6 mths. We still aren't sure if it is caused by some sort of infection or if his condition is genetic. We are going to clean out his ears and teeth and hope that helps if those are causing any infection but there really might not be anything that we are able to do other than keep him comfortable

Right now we are just hoping he doesn't throw any more clots.
Anida is offline  
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 01:19 PM
Administrator
 
texasred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,596
Re: Second Opinion ?

I had to look up glomerulonephritis, as I've never heard of it before. Just briefly went over the symptoms, and possible causes. It looks like one the diagnosis, you don't want to be the answer.
I'm so happy for you and Willard, that he's having some good days. And I sincerely hope they continue.
My heart goes out to you on your journey to help him.
Deb

Not all those who wander are lost.

Life is just a leap of faith.
Spread your arms and hold your breath and always trust your cape.

Two things define you. Your patience when you have nothing, and your attitude when you have everything.
texasred is offline  
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 355
Re: Second Opinion ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRed
I had to look up glomerulonephritis, as I've never heard of it before. Just briefly went over the symptoms, and possible causes. It looks like one the diagnosis, you don't want to be the answer.
I'm so happy for you and Willard, that he's having some good days. And I sincerely hope they continue.
My heart goes out to you on your journey to help him.
Deb
We are hoping they continue as well. I'm not ready to let him go (not sure that day will ever come) but I also don't want him to be suffering.
Anida is offline  
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 09:06 PM
Senior Member
 
hecallsmebama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 139
Re: Second Opinion ?

I too had to look it up. It's interesting that they thought he had amyloidosis. That was one of the things my husband was tested for as well. It sounds like the glomerulonephritisis is autoimmune in nature. I know he is doing well on the steroids now, but if that is not a long term option, the LDN I mentioned before might be. My husband's neuropathy has not progressed since starting it a couple of years ago and some of his nerve issues are gone/healed. He also eats extremely healthy, sort of the paleo/autoimmune protocol type of diet. I know dogs' nutritional needs are very different but it's something to think about.

I would certainly keep the LDN idea in my back pocket and maybe ask the doc if there is anything in his current diet that could cause added inflammation. So sorry to hear of his issues. I dread the day I face this stuff with Amos. Glad he's recovered some of his quality of life for now. Praying he continues to trend in a good direction.
hecallsmebama is offline  
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 355
Re: Second Opinion ?

Steroids definitely aren't a long term option especially where he is having issues with his kidneys. I'll keep the LDN in mind. So far his bloodwork comes back really strong on his kidneys. It's just the urine test that showed he is losing protein. His Albumin is what is low in his bloodwork but everything comes back great. Even his white blood cell count and everything, which is weird.

The specialist also mentioned we might want to switch to a low protein diet. She said it seems counter intuitive but the research suggests they actually do better at keeping protein when there is less of it in their system. We are going to discuss it with our vet and see what he thinks as well.

We're hoping for the best and enjoying the happy days with him. He stole our son's french fries tonight so he's definitely feeling more his normal self
Anida is offline  
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 355
Re: Second Opinion ?

Good news is Willard did awesome under anesthesia yesterday even though he's considered high risk with his blood pressure issues. His teeth are nice and clean and his ears are all cleaned out. The not so good news with that is that his teeth were "bad" but not "that bad" according to our vet. No loose teeth, infected teeth so he's not sure his teeth were causing any sort of infection and his ears were also really clean other than the foxtails. Either way, they are both things that needed done.

Bad news is the vet played with his jaw and he can't open his mouth all the way. Whether it is due to a joint issue or scar tissue we aren't sure. We're going to be testing his protein levels again in about 2 weeks (provided he is still doing ok over the next 2 weeks). If it's still high we're probably just going to end up doing the CT and see if we can get any answers from that.
Anida is offline  
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 12:46 PM
Administrator
 
texasred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,596
Re: Second Opinion ?

Glad you have been able to rule somethings out.
Although not knowing, and trying to do the right thing has to be tough.

One other thing you can look into, although rare in dogs.
http://m.petmd.com/dog/conditions/ne...l/c_dg_tetanus

Not all those who wander are lost.

Life is just a leap of faith.
Spread your arms and hold your breath and always trust your cape.

Two things define you. Your patience when you have nothing, and your attitude when you have everything.
texasred is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Hungarian Vizsla Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome