Hungarian Vizsla Forums - View Single Post - growling and snapping
View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 01:36 PM
laurita

Re: growling and snapping

I find her relationship with her crate interesting, especially that she whines but will not leave her crate and then when she goes out runs back into her crate. Does the growling and snapping only occur when the crate is involved or when she is sleeping anywhere?

I don't know all the circumstances, but I think i'll probably be more of the minority here than Kellygh. the one good thing about growling is that it's a warning. Granted, you don't want your dog growling at you at all, but what you especially don't want is a dog that reacts without the warning, so I'm not big on punishing a dog over a growl, but instead I like trying to change the dog's mind about what he/she perceives as worth growling over. This is just my suggestion, you don't have to agree with it, but I'd work on developing better recall with your dog, especially in trying to get her to come when called from her crate. She appears to love her crate, so I would work on reinforcing her when she leaves her crate. Whenever she comes out of her crate, she gets something awesome. I would feed her outside of her crate so she has to leave it. Basically, I would make her think that when she leaves her crate really good things happen.

On a side note, I don't know how you handle the whining, but if she whines for something, try to ignore it and only do things after she is calm and quiet (except major necessities like going to the bathroom at this age) or not at all if you don't want to do what she is asking. If you're already doing this, sorry & keep up the good work!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome