Okay, here is my $0.02 on this, and that is in CDN funds
We live in an apartment on the second floor, no elevator but stairs. Our place is about 900 square feet.
Was it a problem, no. You make the best with what you have.
We do not have a yard, but we have a school yard 6 houses down the street and a non asphalt trail about 2 blocks from our place.
We take him out to the country as much as possible and we have a dog walker for him twice a week and she lets him RUN! for about an hour.
Now, I am not sure that having a V in a house is any different than having a V in an apartment. he sticks to us like glue, so whether we were on the 2nd floor of the house, 1st floor of a house I don't think it would matter. He wants to be near us about 99% of the time while indoors, the other 1% he is either chasing the cat or has his snout up her butt (which she does not like, can't say I blame her)
When we are not home, he is in his crate because he is a nut still, even at the age of 2. Oh and when he is not in his crate all he does is sleep.
Case in point, we had a holiday this past Friday so I loaded Kian up in the car and picked up Mischa and one of her humans (she has two) We went up north of the City and let the dogs off leash in a forest for about an hour and a half. By the time I got home with Kian he and I took a nice 2 hours nap because we worked hard ;D
Later that night Mischa and both her humans came over for dinner, the dogs were taken for a walk for about 45 minutes and then they played in our apartment off and on for about 3 hours.
The next day Kian slept in until about 9am, I then took him for a walk for about 45 minutes, he was fed and then he decided he needed to go back to sleep, so he crawled in to bed with my girlfriend until about 11:30...they both slept in :
Kian is our first dog and he is a pretty good dog. As long as you give him the exercise/affection and training they need the dog will be fine. Some days will be better than others.
Have fun with your new dog, you guys will be fine.