Hungarian Vizsla Forums - View Single Post - FDA warning on certain kibble brands for possible heart disease issues
View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
pez999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabica View Post
We use Orijen and sometimes Acana too, to mix different flavors. I read the articles and have to say found them very poorly written from a scientific PoV, especially the first one. No further information was provided about the the cases they were quoting i terms of age, lifestyle, supplements, other health issues, have they always been on that food type or just shortly, partially, what kind of treats provided etc and only some about breed shared in the second article. Furthermore no statistics about how many other heart failure cases are around where the dog was NOT on grain free diet and again how many from those breeds. So for me personally it reads half-baked, if even that much.

I m not saying that it is not possible to have a correlation, just don`t see the scientific evidence yet based on these articles.

My dogs have shiny coats, lean muscles, strong nails, swim and run daily and compete regularly, no itchy skin, no ear infection or other allergies so far. They have been on these brands since they were weened and breeder have used these for many years with no issues. Their treats are salmon, dried anchovies, turkey, beef and chicken heart, blueberries, carrots, sweet potato, banana, apple etc, either home made or freeze dried, 100% types. Time will tell, but post our discussions with our breeder came to the conclusion, that as long as we see them thriving as they do now we both keep our dogs on this type of diet.
I was wondering about these things too, not a lot of info. Also doesn't seem to be that many cases and they mostly say it about larger breeds who are more prone to those heart conditions anyway. I also don't 100% believe it all because who knows, they could be pushing some sort of agenda or been paid to do so, so other food brands get better rep or more pushed. Just seems very one sided and focused on grain free food vs other factors.

We haven't seen any issues either and Acana has been great.

Follow Bandi on IG @bandi_vizsla

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome