Hungarian Vizsla Forums - View Single Post - 16 week old puppy won't sleep at night
View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 07:23 AM
Clara Tarjan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie View Post
Thanks guys! We decided to move the crate into the bedroom next to the bed - he's happy and sleeps from 10pm to 5-6am without a peep. I guess our only worry is whether we're setting him up to be anxious long term - our breeder said by letting him sleep in the bedroom, he'll never be able to be left/kennelled/stay with other people. Have others found this? Thanks so much for the tips.
Hi. This sounds like a tough situation for sure! Our own V (and FIRST V) is only 14 weeks. But I must say I'm confused by the recommendation for your V to NOT sleep in your bedroom, for fear of creating separation anxiety. Our breeder talked about not only having the V in our room, but on EYE LEVEL with our bed (which we aren't doing, but he's in our room) so that he felt secure at night. And I must say, our V is a miracle sleeper. No issues. And he's doing so amazing during the day too. I work away from home twice a week, and he goes for 3 hours regularly in his crate before someone comes to walk and play with him.

My advice is more derived from my two children. 'If it's working for you, don't change it. If it isn't working for you, try something else'. I don't have much V experience, but I'd say that if your V is happy and settled in your bedroom, just leave him in there. Worry about the supposed separation anxiety only if/when that becomes an issue.

Best of luck. It is obvious you are doing your best for him with good intentions, so I'm sure it will all work out in the end.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome