Hives! - Hungarian Vizsla Forums
 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
2Gingers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 44
Hives!

I have seen other posts about their Vs breaking out in hives, but after combing through and viewing any photos included, I didn't see any quite like mine's outbreak this past weekend. As you can see in the photo, it was a really bad case. I have other pictures from various stages, but most are blurry because he is in a constant state of motion. Luckily, it was fairly contained/localized to his knees, with just a few random other spots.

He is much, much better now. Benadryl provided immediate relief, and we did not need an emergency vet visit. Yesterday, we saw the vet and were prescribed Prednisone for a week since the hives were still coming back, though much weaker, after the Benadryl would start to wear off.

We don't know what caused the hives. We think he made contact with something in the woods while on our evening walk Saturday, since he broke out shortly after. Maybe it was a bug bite, or maybe it was a plant of some sort. We frequent those woods daily and have never had this problem, and we've even been back since Saturday with no additional outbreaks (though it has been raining daily). It was in the upper 60s that day, and the bugs were definitely waking up from their winter slumber, so I'm really hoping this was an isolated event and not seasonal.

Just thought I would share the story and the photo since spring is upon us (at least in the South).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JaxHives.jpg (643.7 KB, 34 views)
2Gingers is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 06:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 347
Oh my heavens how awful for him. Is there some protective ointment or spray that he can be sprayed with in order to minimize contact with known and unknown irritants?

What does the Vet think the culprit is? Will you have to stick to open trails and avoid vegetation? Exercise somewhere else? If it is bugs, then why no preventative cream, oil, ointment nor spray similar to humans wearing DEET and clothing with Permethim?

I will be praying for a full recovery; our Vizslas need human help and care like we do.


TexasRed, what is your opinion about this.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk
cuddlebuglove is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
2Gingers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 44
I'm not sure about sprays to use before we walk through the woods, though I've heard of some people using a mix of essential oils or something similar. I didn't think to ask about that, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'm open. I don't want to start hosing him down unnecessarily until I'm sure he is completely over the outbreak.

The vet did not find a bite mark (no ticks or flees either) or anything that would indicate it was caused by an insect. I use a monthly flea/tick preventative year round. She also does not think it was anything he consumed. She isn't sure exactly what it was other than he came into physical contact with something. No, she did not suggest we avoid anything or change anything about our routine. Mainly it's a wait and see if it pops up again. If it does, she suggested some blood work to eliminate certain issues before moving to allergy testing.

Thank you for the prayers. The hives are almost completely gone now, so he is doing very well. Thanks!
cuddlebuglove likes this.
2Gingers is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 04:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Gabica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 523
Poor babe, hope it was just a contact issue.

for insect repellent: geranium oil, coconut oil work for us. Up until the point when the boys decide to jump into the creek or lake etc... lol. i have seen several other suggestions too:

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.co...to-repellents/
2Gingers likes this.
Gabica is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 09:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Gingers View Post
I'm not sure about sprays to use before we walk through the woods, though I've heard of some people using a mix of essential oils or something similar. I didn't think to ask about that, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'm open. I don't want to start hosing him down unnecessarily until I'm sure he is completely over the outbreak.



The vet did not find a bite mark (no ticks or flees either) or anything that would indicate it was caused by an insect. I use a monthly flea/tick preventative year round. She also does not think it was anything he consumed. She isn't sure exactly what it was other than he came into physical contact with something. No, she did not suggest we avoid anything or change anything about our routine. Mainly it's a wait and see if it pops up again. If it does, she suggested some blood work to eliminate certain issues before moving to allergy testing.



Thank you for the prayers. The hives are almost completely gone now, so he is doing very well. Thanks!
I am very happy to hear this; I will keep praying - there IS a solution! A good one! If it is allergies then tests should show what the culprit is. Please pet him for me. Thank you.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk
cuddlebuglove is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 08:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 924
Y'all have weird bugs down there, my bet are fire ants. I was once unknowingly and savagely attacked by them and blew up like a football, similarly to this. Unfortunately, there are no known repellents for these monsters other than avoidance after the fact.

I always keep Benadryl available just in case.
gingerling is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
2Gingers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabica View Post
Poor babe, hope it was just a contact issue.

for insect repellent: geranium oil, coconut oil work for us. Up until the point when the boys decide to jump into the creek or lake etc... lol. i have seen several other suggestions too:

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.co...to-repellents/
Thank you for the suggestions. Very cool site. I like the bracelets for humans, too.
2Gingers is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
2Gingers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerling View Post
Y'all have weird bugs down there, my bet are fire ants. I was once unknowingly and savagely attacked by them and blew up like a football, similarly to this. Unfortunately, there are no known repellents for these monsters other than avoidance after the fact.

I always keep Benadryl available just in case.
Yes, we do! Your experience sounds terrifying! It certainly could have been fire ants. The vet tech asked if he had gotten into an ant bed. I said it was possible, though I didn't see it happen if he did, and I never heard him yelp or cry out in distress. I imagine if he had gotten into an ant bed, he would have started biting and then taken off running (maybe they would've just fallen off then). Hmm. I'll keep this theory in mind. Thanks!
2Gingers is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 04:31 PM
Administrator
 
texasred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,604
Fire ants normally cause a small bump with a white puss spot in the middle. Unless highly allergic to them, I don't see it as being our normal ants. The huge red ants do cause more of a problem. Thankfully they are not as wide spread.

Cash broke out in hives 3, or 4 times, over his lifetime. I never found what caused it, as it was years apart. A couple doses of Benadryl, and the hives would go away.

Don't be surprised if you see some hair loss. It's normal when a area has swelling.
Tennesseetexan likes this.

Not all those who wander are lost.

Life is just a leap of faith.
Spread your arms and hold your breath and always trust your cape.

Two things define you. Your patience when you have nothing, and your attitude when you have everything.
texasred is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 06:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasred View Post
Fire ants normally cause a small bump with a white puss spot in the middle. Unless highly allergic to them, I don't see it as being our normal ants. The huge red ants do cause more of a problem. Thankfully they are not as wide spread.



Cash broke out in hives 3, or 4 times, over his lifetime. I never found what caused it, as it was years apart. A couple doses of Benadryl, and the hives would go away.



Don't be surprised if you see some hair loss. It's normal when a area has swelling.
Thank you Texasred. This has been a horror and I haven't even been near a Vizsla. I hope such incidents can be avoided in the future. By the way; does the fur grow back?

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk
cuddlebuglove is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Hungarian Vizsla Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome