Re: Running a Vizsla
1. Your activity schedule is fine. V's are capable of doing more, but this is about the level of activity our V gets and he is doing just fine.
2. If you condition your V, then 7-8 miles is nothing. I'd be careful in the summer time, as frequent water breaks will be necessary (every 2 miles or so depending on the heat). If the dog slows down...then you need to slow down. They will do anything to please you, including running to extreme exhaustion.
3. We have a 14 month old V. At 9 months or so, we started jogging about 1 mile a couple times a week. Currently we run 2-3 miles a couple times a week. I'm trying to avoid running him significantly until 18 months, but that is a generic number. Each dog develops differently, so when he/she is full grown, growth plates essentially closed, your pretty safe.
4. Trails are better for anyone to run on (humans included). Just less impact, better joint health...
5. My V loves birds and squirrels and we have a lot of those on our runs. If you train him properly on a leash, you'll be fine. Our V has been stubborn on the leash despite our constant efforts to train him. We use the "easy-walk harness" that completely eliminates pulling and if he attempts to chase another animal, it easily holds him back without much effort.