Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Recent

Random Photo

Sorry, you do not have permission to view pictures!
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 88980
  • Total Topics: 9574
  • Online Today: 192
  • Online Ever: 368
  • (January 02, 2014, 08:27:33 PM)
Users Online
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: The great coat debate.  (Read 6466 times)

Kdwyer915

• Liked: 87
    • View Profile
The great coat debate.
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2012, 03:12:10 AM »

I'm in New Jersey and Milo is always chilly especially at night in the fall and winter. I have him in a Weatherbeeta flannel blanket when we go for walks or just out to the barn to feed the horses. Seems to help :)

hotmischief

• Elite Member
  • Liked: 702
    • View Profile
Re: The great coat debate.
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2012, 08:56:50 PM »

I recently bought a Chilly Trial Blazer for my boy.  Having been really careful with measuring the dog and taking advise from the supplier in the UK, I was really disappointed when the rug arrived and it was 3" too long.  The suppliers have never returned my calls so I figured we were stuck with the coat so he would just have to wear it even though it was a bit too long.

Today we had steady rain(not heavy) when I walked him this morning.  When I took the coat off at the end of our walk - my dog was slightly wet and the inside of the rug was soaking.  Yet it is advised as 100% waterproof.

My question is has anybody else got a Trial Blazer - how have you found yours and how water proof have you found it??

born36

• Elite Member
  • Liked: 511
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2012, 01:00:55 PM »

Mac has a trail blazer and so far it has held up in the rain. However I haven't had him out in an absolute down pour. This weekend it rained a ton but actually I did put his coat on him as it was warm enough to let him go around off lead with out it on.

I am surprised they haven't answered your calls at Kite Klothing hotmischief! When Mac got his coat and it was too long they were really good in replying. I do though think I wrote an email and didn't call. So you might want to do that. Chilli Dog coats are meant to be really good but I agree they need to sort out their sizing as I had to order two sizes down from the one that I first ordered. Even though like you I was really careful to measure him exactly.

OttosMama

• Elite Member
  • Liked: 808
    • View Profile
The great coat debate.
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2012, 01:12:02 PM »

We finally chose a coat/visibility vest for Otto.  It took sometime because I didn't want anything too heavy but I wanted something to keep him warm on on leash walks or in a cold rain.  We woke up early this AM and went for a jog.  It held up nicely with him weaving in and out of the woods. Otto already broke it in with some fresh horse poop :P

We bought one for colder days and then one just for visibility - the green one is water proof - the orange is water resistant.

We bought him a medium and it has adjustable straps - length fits nicely and if I tighten straps all the way he is good and snug.

The brand is D-fa.  Their headquarters is located in New Zealand but I purchased these from REI, on sale :)
http://m.rei.com/mt/www.rei.com/product/817804/d-fa-arma-doggo-super-tough-activity-dog-jacket

http://m.rei.com/mt/www.rei.com/product/817805/d-fa-moon-walker-high-visibility-dog-jacket

« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 01:16:36 PM by OttosMama »
"You don't always get the dog you want, you get the dog you need..." -Cesar Millan

Vizslas for LIFE! :)

Cristina

• Liked: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2012, 01:07:53 PM »

My V Beau is now 7 months old and he has 2 coats, 1 is his Equifleece Tankie and the other an Equi theme waterproof coat, which is brilliant.

I can understand everyone's points of view of coats but for me it's all about my own dog and what I see everyday. Beau is a wirehair V but his coat is thin and he still hasn't developed an undercoat yet. We had one very cold snap here in the UK where I live and my boy was literally shivering to the point his teeth were chattering! He also hates rain so I got him a waterproof coat too, he now trots along quite happily in the cold and wet.

As far as I'm concerned my dog wears a coat when it is cold, it's not a fashion statement and I don't care what others think, my dog is warm and happy and that's all that matters. :)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 01:34:41 PM by Cristina »

hotmischief

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2012, 01:49:30 PM »

Hi Christina - How's the IOW??

Hope Beau is doing well - would love to see some recent pictures of him.  Boris is now 11 months and has a nice thick coat, although not long like some wirehaired vizslas,  I use an equifleece to dry him off when he gets very wet, but other than that he seems to be warm enough now his undercoat is thicker.

Cristina

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2012, 01:55:20 PM »

Hi Hotmischief!

The Island is like most of the UK at the moment....saturated from all the rain! lol Makes for great fun for the dogs though.  ;D

I hope Beau's coat is like Boris's and thickens up as he gets older, at the moment it seems to be all on his back, face and lower parts of his legs, looks like he is wearing socks from a distance! lol. BTW the Equifleece is brilliant! We are now on our 2nd one (out grown), thank you for recommending them!

I will go put some piccys up in the relevent section, I have been keeping a record of him as he has grown  ;)

hotmischief

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2012, 05:54:33 PM »

Just replied to your other post - I think you will notice a big difference in the thickness of his coat in the next 2 - 3 months. 

We are on our second Equifleece too, a 28" - don't think that will fit hin next year when he has finished filling out.  They sell well on here or on ebay so I am not worried.  Or I will donate it to the Vizsla rescue in Hungary, they are always crying out for coats.

I also got him a Trial Blazer for heavy rain, but had to send it back as it leaked and was not a good fit.

Boris will be a year old on Christmas day - so will have to take a picture and post it.  Be interesting to compare Beau at the same age.  I posted a load of pictures of him at 10 months(somewhere on here - Day at the Beach?) on a visit to WWittering - you might find those interesting.

Cristina

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2012, 07:04:41 PM »

That is good to know, I'm hoping Beau's coat will follow Boris's. It is good to have someone to compare with, even if Boris is slightly older  :)

Beau's coat is great, it doesn't leak, washes great and has a great belly strap. It is made by Equi theme the horse rug people. Will find a link... http://www.equestrianclearance.com/ekkia/equi-theme-soft-shell-dog-rug/index.html
It is a brilliant fit, even on Beau as a pup.

definitely take some 1 year pics, I will do the same for Beau too! Will be very interesting  ;D

Btw if you organise another get together at the wittering beach we will come! It's very close  ;)

SteelCityDozer

• Elite Member
  • Liked: 403
    • View Profile
The great coat debate.
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2012, 02:18:14 AM »

Here's the sweatshirt I made for Dozer. I'm really trying hard to reuse and repurpose things so this was an old hoodie of mine from our yard sale bin. I've also made him a sweater from one of mine. The goods news is the custom fit. The bad news is they are quite manly since they were girl clothes. But they were practically free and very utilitarian.

BaxtersMum

• Liked: 78
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2012, 06:36:21 PM »

Hi

We decided to get Baxter a coat. We were trying to wait as he is growing so quickly. Now 17 weeks but he was shivering so much and absolutely refused to go for a walk on Friday as it was so cold so we bought this one on Saturday. It's a two in one coat with a removable fleece liner and the strap is reflective for walking in the dark. With forecasts saying it could be -11 this week I couldn't not get him one!

It is oversized but the store recommended this otherwise we would be buying another one in 2 weeks time!

harrigab

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Liked: 2691
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2012, 08:59:16 PM »

I got a Rocket Dog one for Ruby last week, even the wires can get cold I guess. Mainly got it for when she's in the back of the pick-up on our way to and back from pheasant shoots.
"never argue with stupid people, they may drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience"..Mark Twain

Ruby's d.o.b. 21/6/2011
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Advertisments

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 23, 2014, 08:06:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

TinyPortal 1.0 RC1.1 | © 2005-2010 BlocWeb