Since I got my first V Charlie 5.5 years ago I've lurked around this forum from time to time. But today I feel the urge to put Charlie's story out there hoping that some benefit of it will come...
This past weekend my family spend time camping in the Kootaney's of BC and at some point on the trip we noticed Charlie had two swollen looking bumps on his hind legs. Well my wife took a picture and sent it to one of her best friends who is a vet and she responded immediately that it looks like lymphoma. Well yesterday we took him in to the vet and they found that basically all of his lymph nodes are swollen to some degree
He was tested for tick infections, leukemia, and a bunch of other tests focused on his blood and all tests came back negative. The samples from his nodes are available this Friday or forsure next Monday, but the vet has stated that his swelling and overall lack of other symptoms is classic lymphoma and that she is 95% sure this will hold true.
It's disheartening to hear that without treatment he could pass within 3-4 months as he seems normal at the moment beyond the swelling. In reading other various posts on forums this seems typical. Last night was pretty difficult on the home front but we're faced with the reality of rapidly choosing the next steps which include treatment options.
Chemo is certainly an option and there seems to be positive results out there but the extended time frame seems so small (1-2 years if we're lucky).
The biggest challenge for us is that our son is 2.5 years old and can't really understand our distress nor grasp that our family dog is sick. In some sense it would be easier on our son now to lose his dog then to go through this at a time where he might understand the situation. On top of that my wife is due with our second child in 4 weeks so the timing couldn't be any worse on her!
If any of you have positive or negative stories about the Chemo treatment pathway it would be greatly appreciated if you could give some advice. As on today we are indicating to the vet that we'll go the chemo route but we've been informed that oncologist will not be available until late next week which seems troublesome to me given the rapid progression of this disease.
We hold hope that the 5% chance that it's not lymphoma is true so there is some positives to take